Downsizing

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Decided to stop feeding the rats on the plot by growing stuff at home.

Going to grow spuds, leeks, onions, garlic & broad beans plus keep making compost on the plot.

At home have created 4 beds with the idea of growing more in small space.

The long bed will be used for testing the "Veg in One bed by Huh Richards" idea in his book.

There is room for 16 brassica and climbing French beans on the frame in each 2 large square beds. Will also interplant with lettuce/spring onions/garlic ect.

The bed near the green house will have strawberry's.

I am using a soaker pipe on all the beds which will be connected to outside hose pipe to keep on top of watering.

All beds will be covered with netting or maybe chicken mesh not decide yet.

I am hoping with this being at home I can monitor this dailey and make adjustments.
Attachments
New Bed 3.jpg
New Bed 3.jpg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 862 times
New Bed 2.jpg
New Bed 2.jpg (143.3 KiB) Viewed 862 times
New Bed 1.jpg
New Bed 1.jpg (143.8 KiB) Viewed 862 times
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Looking good, what I do to maximise space in smaller beds is I broadcast sow seeds rather than growing in rows. This seems to do two things, it uses all the ground and I find you don't have to do much thinning out, a lot less waste.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I use the square foot gardening as a guide to getting more plants in a small space.

As for thinning out most of the seeds are grown in the greenhouse.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A good looking set up, Colin….as an old gardener once told me, “when you take something out of the soil, put something back in, before planting the next crop”, how right he was!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

With my main veg plot about to be seeded over sadly, we,ve still retained one reasonable length border for growing a few tomatoes & climbing beans. Should be able to squeeze in a single courgette plant, a cucumber and some salad leaves.

The loser will be my immediate neighbour who used to benefit from my surplus crops, but perhaps the courgette mountain will not be missed !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic