Cookbooks vs restaurants

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Breq
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stravaig
KG Regular

I was happy to use our local farm shop and pleased to be supporting local suppliers. Then I spotted "grown in Spain" on their onions. Tsk. Why bother?

When we were first evac'd from Ukraine, many people were very interested in the cause. A British artist couple raised funds by selling a Ukrainian flag thing (not exactly a poster, a kind of A5 version of the flag in a heart shape). They charged a fiver each for a bit of paper. Basically it was a donation. We bought several of them, and our fishmongers were very happy to display one in their window. I thought that was kind of them. I liked them before but that made me like them even more.

Interestingly, the local church was flying a Ukrainian flag. I think it was a gesture saying "peace" rather than anything political. The horrors of the invasion (we don't call it a war) don't lessen but interest has waned as people have become less shocked and more used to this dreadful situation.
Primrose
KG Regular

Mr Primrose is trying some savoury porridge experiments as part of his pre diabetic diet. This morning,s offering was oats mixed with a few leftover veg from yesterday cooked in V8 juice with a poached egg on top!

I think I,ll stick with my oats and sultanas!. The thought of Savoury Porridge doesn,t really float my boat but if anybody has a really good recipe I,d be interested to see it. I suppose we just get used to our traditional concepts of what we think a meal should consist of !
Breq
KG Regular

Rice porridge (congee) is very popular in Asia.
A quick search brought up a bunch of savoury oat porridges but, uh, don't think I can face that for breakfast - I don't think I am that adventurous.

But good on Mr Primrose for giving it a go! Let us know if finds a winner
Stravaig
KG Regular

Asian rice porrige - congee. Oops. Noticed after that you'd got there first. :D

What I particularly like about Asian food is they don't have any weird ideas about when you can eat ceratin things. There's nothing I like better than a bowl of noodle soup for breakfast. Welll, a bacon sarnie is nice too. But Asians don't have this weird thing that soup, or whatever, should only be eaten at certain times.
Primrose
KG Regular

I know oats are used in lots of savoury cooking recipes. Mr Primrose is currently ploughing through the mass of fascinating recipes demonstrated by Utility Jude in her fascinating You Tube austerity wartime cooking channel.

If we,re ever reduced to some of these measures again we,ll know our national food supply is in real trouble (and not just a matter of low supplies of tomatoes and cucumbers in a few supermarkets for a couple of weeks!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds like food from the Workhouse….🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Hrd to realise that this was probably standard fare for our great, great grandparents before today's "modern" pre-prepared foods came in and so many overseas imported foods started to become a standard part of our diet. I,m not sure even my grandmother had eaten a mango or an avocado and aI bet she never knew what chow mein was.
Breq
KG Regular

A good read is Michael "Pollan's "Food Rules".
Referring to process food products: "Don't eat anything your great-grandmother would not recognise as food" :D :D
Stravaig
KG Regular

I eat a lot of stuff my granny probably wouldn't recognise as being food. LOL :lol:

She was considered to be a great cook and a stalwart of the WRI.(Women's Rural Institute.) She won prizes for her knitting and making things. I was the lucky recipient of many of them. Such old fashioned times, but innocent and nice. Sadly she died when I was only six. She was definitely of a different age.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic