Using standard decking boards to make raised vegetable beds

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mikepearce45
KG Regular

Advancing years and knee problems have now resulted in me considering the use of raised beds in the veggie garden. Having considered buying some of the commercially produced kits, and having been put off by the price, I am considering making some of my own using standard decking boards.

Regulations regarding the types of chemicals used in pressuring timber have been reviewed over the years and some of the more dangerous ones have been banned. However, not wishing to poison myself, family or neighbours can others, more knowledgeable than myself, shed some light on the safety, or otherwise, on using standard decking for the purpose as above please? Thanks in advance.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’m not sure what chemicals they pressure treat with anymore but, if you lined the inside of the decking boards with plastic sheeting, it would stop anything getting into the soil and also help to protect the boards too.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
snooky
KG Regular

Not a great fan of raised beds but if push came to shove and I had to garden that way because of health problems then I would consider using secondhand scaffolding boards.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
mikepearce45
KG Regular

Thank you both for your replies. I had thought about lining the boards as a " belt and braces" security against chemical leakage into the soil. Likewise about using scaffolding boards - they could be a possibilty depending on any other advice I may receive on using decking.
robo
KG Regular

I used scaffolding boards unless you are a lotto winner you can only get the ones that are no longer fit for purpose mine lasted about four years
tigerburnie
KG Regular

This is my set up, click on the link and switch on your speakers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xir5hEVrfM
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Colin2016
KG Regular

This is my raised bed using treated decking been used since 2016, have raised beds on plot using scaffolding boards which are showing similar decay.

The bed corners where held together using untreated wood, suspect treated wood would have given a longer life.

As for chemicals it is not something I worried about, biggest issue was red ants in corners on plot beds.

I have created new beds using same decking but painted with Thomson fence paint.

Know of someone that is using plastic fish trays as raised beds to save bending down with great success.
Attachments
Old Bed.jpg
Old Bed.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
Old Bed 2.jpg
Old Bed 2.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
Colin2016
KG Regular

Had couple of thoughts, there is a TV program about Alaska homesteading last week that created a hammock instead of a raised bed to keep poison slugs away. This was for a homestead in Hawaii.

Also they burn/scorch wood instead of using preservatives wonder if it would work on raised beds?
mikepearce45
KG Regular

Good suggestion regarding scorching wood. There are many YouTube videos of people building cabins in the US. Canada , Alaska and Scandinavian countries where scorching is the preferred choice for "raw" wood preservation. Might give that a go,
mikepearce45
KG Regular

tigerburnie
Just picked up your post and watched the video. Those are some hefty bits of wood you have used but they certainly seem to work ok. Interesting that you have not initially filled the beds with soil (likewise Colin judging by the "soilmark" in his pictures) I would have made the expensive mistake of filling any I end up with to the top - lesson learnt, thanks. Nice , relaxing commentary to go with the video. Thanks for posting it.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

mikepearce45 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:15 pm tigerburnie
Just picked up your post and watched the video. Those are some hefty bits of wood you have used but they certainly seem to work ok. Interesting that you have not initially filled the beds with soil (likewise Colin judging by the "soilmark" in his pictures) I would have made the expensive mistake of filling any I end up with to the top - lesson learnt, thanks. Nice , relaxing commentary to go with the video. Thanks for posting it.
Glad it was of use, it's my way, not necessarily the right way, just to make you think outside of the box a bit.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic