Late Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I just wondered if I started this topic, it might make Spring feel a little closer!! 😀
What a horribly wet day it is out there….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Miserable here yet again. High winds, chucking it down with rain. You really notice weather more when you live on the sixth floor rather than at ground level in a house.

I'm having a go at making cheese scones this morning. Trouble is I don't like following instructions - which is why I'm a chef not a baker. :-) I've gone a bit off piste with these. Hope they turn out OK.
Clive.
KG Regular

That's better,
Sunshine streaming in the kitchen window as my Co-op Honest Value beans are going round in the microwave..

..and Radio Caroline North is on 648 Khz this weekend, live from the Ross Revenge :)

Meanwhile, out in the former sugar beet field there's a line of seagulls having a paddle....

C.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Raining. Better than snow.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’ve heard told, co-op honest value beans, are quite good at this time of the year…😀

Clive.
KG Regular

..and very easy to pick, they were at the end of the row....I hope I didn't take the ones they were saving for seed...? ;)

C.

...and by the time microwave pinged the sunshine had vanished..
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That made me smile….😀
Same here, Clive, a little sun but, it’s now chucking it down again…

Geoff
KG Regular

Only gardening task I have done in the relentless wet has been scrubbing several hundred labels. Not all that much rain today, it has been chucking hail at us instead as a bit of variety. Having to re-kindle rusty skills as my wife recovers from a knee replacement on Tuesday. Amazing how quickly they send you home, down to theatre 3:30 Tuesday, home 2:00 Thursday.
Last edited by Geoff on Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds like you are going to be busy then, Geoff….hope your Wife is soon up and running, so to speak….

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just been and pulled some nice Autumn King carrots from over the allotments and a nice Parsnip too…that was a bit more of a job getting out off the ground, owing to the length of it!😀

Clive.
KG Regular

I grew the parsnip variety Victor at work last year for the first time...I haven't had any on my plate as yet but those that have give a good report on flavour.

Meanwhile, my vegetable of the day, brussels sprouts, is a bit more local sourced than my yesterday choice..

The aconites are starting to flower just opposite the back door here..and I haven't got the surrounding hellebores trimmed back...hoping for a few minutes on that job after lunch, given I can find a suitable board to work from..

C.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Very wet here in Somerset, the lanes around me are flooded and so are the fields. My swedes have not fared well and about half have rotted but my turnips are fine. Dug some parsnips and leaks this morning and was pleased with them. I am a little concerned about my apple trees I planted 5 years ago many are sitting in water and I have already lost some due to the wet ground in previous years. I do wish the ground would dry. At least the days are lengthening and some snowdrops are starting to appear.
Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The Aconites are just coming out behind my old neighbours hand built garage….such a shame, as she won’t see them, as she can barely walk now….

Let’s hope the water table soon lowers, Barney!

Geoff
KG Regular

Well I harvested parsnip, carrots and sprouts as part of my first roast dinner in years, seemed to go OK. Wasn't brave enough to try Yorkshires!
Westi
KG Regular

Nice morning but hideous afternoon down here. I have been working on digging out the thuggish autumn yellow raspberries that are not sharing with my red ones & I'm making pretty good progress. I think I will be finished on the next visit. Fortunately their bed is raised & no standing water & so much easier to dig the whole plant up as the soil is still pretty wet. My progress is related to no-one being down & I can understand that as there is still blustery winds to deal with. I have bought Autumn Bliss to fill the gaps but in my usual style I have a question for you. ;)

At the ends I have Paris red raspberries, which I really like as big & juicy. On the south end of the bed 4 of these have wee leaves budding along the cane which are about 4-5' tall, the other ends ones are dormant. I cut off the tops which were lashed about in the winds & raggy but left just the 4 of these that were budding. I did cut the rest right down even though a bit early but they were spent canes anyway. What do you think? Should I have cut them right back as well as or worth the risk to see as it is just January & they were new healthy canes that had not fruited? Thinking still time to cut back if a fail next month? Is it a response to the higher temps or stress during the hot spell maybe?
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic