2023 season begins..................

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

removed
Last edited by tigerburnie on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A buzzing good video, Burnie….🙂
Were you running late for your lunch, as you shot off quite quickly!🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Ha ha, had to go and order some new glasses and book the car in for some work, new front wheel bearings required as I have nearly done a 100,000 miles in it!!
Westi
KG Regular

I really like your pond Tiger, such a great habitat!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Westi wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:31 pm I really like your pond Tiger, such a great habitat!
When we get a few flying beasties about like damsel or dragon flies I intend to do some close ups of what lives in there.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

More potting on done, some very late growing Hungarian Hot Wax peppers now in individual old yoghurt pots, larger Anaheim and Sweet peppers in final large pots. Sweetcorn seeds sown in root trainers, french climbing beans in cells, all in the blowaway in the greenhouse with a temperature overnight of around 10 degrees, I hope they will all be ok.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Despite temperatures down to 5.5 degrees everything seems to be slowly growing. Now my dear old Dad had this philosophy of growing something new every year, sometimes just a new variety, as after a while you'd run out of ideas, so with this in mind, I sowed Water Melon seeds, got them free so I though I'd pop 6 in some cells and see what happens(not expecting anything to happen). Well in 3 days it looks like all 6 are growing, not got enough room for all these plants and of course after last seasons poor germination of Sweetcorn, I sowed twice as many seeds and..............................yep it looks like all of those are growing too, where they will all go I have no idea.
Westi
KG Regular

My water melons are all up as well Burnie, even the ones that were a no show on the first sow, so I have 2 per pot now & I had a dig around at the time & couldn't find the seed so assumed the mice ate them. I will grow the normal wee round ones in the tunnel & train them around the side support so they will get the extra light & warmth & give some shade to the other plants & the edges tend to be moister as well as any rain runs off. My attempts to try to capture this run off did not work, but it is still beneficial.

I also have a; (well 2) of the long US water melons & am just building them some protection outside at the moment. I have put windbreak fabric around 3 sides of their bed & have some of the tunnel thick bubble cover left over which I will try to secure over the top. I grew them last year in the old compost bin & I got to the point of tiny melons until they succumbed to the rats.

When completed I will try to remember to take a decent pic.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Sweetcorn........................................it has some sort of intelligence you know, I want 8 or 10 plants to go in the greenhouse, last year I sowed 16 seeds and 6 grew, so this year I sowed 28 and 24 of the flippin' things have grown, I have planted 10, a bit close, but they have two chances, anyone want a dozen Sweetcorn plants, nowhere to plant them, inside or out, the garden is starting to burst at the seams. :D
robo
KG Regular

I would have them but a bit far to travel cheers bernie
retropants
KG Regular

Same here!
Westi
KG Regular

I don't have too many as 3 pots sown at intervals related to varieties with 12 each, 1st gave me 8, 2nd 2, but spotted another one waking up & 2 finally grown from the 3rd pot I left at home so it could get more attention. No doubt wherever I tip the soil in these pots the potential is I could get more, but the official ones will be enough for us. The melons are copying the sweetcorn & the no shows on them are waking up as well.I'm hoping the cabbage subs are up, not that it will matter too much as I don't know how they do it but even with staggered sows & grows the whole lot seem to mature together, another crop with some intelligence! (Or some strange sense of humour)! ;)
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Dug a 7lbs 5ozs root of Charlotte this morning - I think that will do us rather more than Sunday dinner.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Not if you invite some forum friends along, Geoff!🙂
What a good amount…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Frost forecast, just has to bring dahlias and fushias in pots back in the greenhouse and draped fleece all over the tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse, I knew I'd need it and hadn't yet put it away for the summer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic