2023 season begins..................

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:01 pm Tiger. Have you ever saved your pea pods for soup? I tried one year and the flavour was good but bit of a messy process getting them all smashed up..
No but my Dad made pea shuck wine once, that was ok if somewhat bland
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh that reminds me of our early home wine making experiments several decades ago. We tried making wine out of some really weird ingredients. Must have had stronger stomachs in those days but even so, much of it ended up going down the sink. Probably did a good job of scouring the sewer pipes.

Strange how home wine making seems to have mostly disappeared as a hobby these days. Due to a more affluent and discerning population I suppose. Home made elderberry can be good but really needs storing for a while to be at its best.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I still have all the gear for making wine, beer and cider, though not made any for about three years now. I bought a fruit press and tried making scrumpy from my own apples, it was minging
retropants
KG Regular

I have about 30+ bottles of homemade wine in the garage! last time I made any was 2010. Some tastes OK, but we don't drink it as it blows your head off!! The strawberry and pear ones are pretty good, the elderberry a tad tanniny. Not really sure what to do with it...frecycle doesn't accept alcohol.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds as if you could beat the land speed record, if you run the car on it…🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

😆
tigerburnie
KG Regular

removed
Last edited by tigerburnie on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Had a really busy morning over the allotments, then the heavens opened this afternoon….so was delighted to have your latest update to watch, Burnie, excellent and thank you….

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Thank you OH, difficult not to keep repeating yourself after a bit, I shall have to grow a lot of different crops next year lol.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You always manage to make them interesting and funny at the same time, Burnie…..
Hope your health issues have calmed down now!

tigerburnie
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:23 pm You always manage to make them interesting and funny at the same time, Burnie…..
Hope your health issues have calmed down now!
I feel alright, a bit weak, not very fit but out walking so getting better, I am still on anti biotics for infection, just had an iron infusion, so keeping away from large magnets lol.
I'm under three different consultants for three different ailments, but at least they are looking, just waiting on biopsy and blood results now, glad I made the garden low maintenance, I must have been a clairvoyant.........................
tigerburnie
KG Regular

And so the season comes to an end in the greenhouse, click on the image to watch the video, there's commentary too.
Last edited by tigerburnie on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Burnie, thank you so much for taking the time to make the video clips and posting them on here….really interesting to see what you are able to achieve in such a short season.
Just goes to show how a longer growing season here, can make a huge difference, as I have just taken the tops out of my second lot of Tomatoes, now they have 3 trusses….these are in the greenhouse!
Also the last sowing of runner and french beans are just about to start cropping, so as long as we don’t get any frosts before the middle of October, they should crop heavily……anyway, thank you again.

tigerburnie
KG Regular

You are welcome, making the films has kept me busy whilst still recovering from the last hospital visit, our season is shorter, but we do get longer days, so most things catch up.
Next season I shall aim to make shorter films just on one subject, if I can stop blethering away that is.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

The greenhouse has had a thorough wash with Jeyes fluid, so fully disinfected, soil raked over and levelled, I don't usually add the manure until the spring. There are a few strawberries and a couple of peppers still in pots.
An interesting point came up when moving the pots, all had to varying degrees, tap roots out of the pots and into the border soil, I was also quite surprise just how long the roots were on plants planted into the soil directly. I like growing in the soil for access to nutrients and water, how ever there are some plants like my peppers and chillies that seem to thrive in a pot.
Task to do now is to get the two wooden chairs inside the greenhouse and treated with some oil, needs doing, but I also sit in the greenhouse watching birds and supping coffee as I like the space, odd really as we have a conservatory, I just like my greenhouse space.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic