Amazing kindness!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

(Our house is still occupied by tenants and we don't want to make it their problem because we had some problems.) I've been doing my best but really, really, really, wanted the luxury of a shower in a proper shower room. Yeah, I know there are work arounds - wash your hair at the kitchen sink, etc, but a proper shower is what I desperately wanted. I'll ask the landlord for permission for us to install a grab rail.

There's a hotel that's part of a popular budget chain very close to us so I asked my husband if he could enquire if we could have their accessible room for an hour or so, just so I could use the shower.

LOL! It sounds like a short-term hotel where you get a room for an hour so you can have sex. David (my husband) said afterwards he thought it was a no-hoper or just a fools errand, but he tried anyway. Amazingly the guy in charge at the hotel said "Yeah, sure, come in and we'll make the shower available for you". Great! Thanks. How much? Nothing. Free of charge. How great is that???

I liked that hotel chain before. Now I'm in lurve!!!

Yep. I tried to be as quick as possible. Had a shower, using my own toiletries. Didn't touch the bed. Wouldn't even sit on it. We did not have sex in the room.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

There are some very good people out there, Stravaig, it’s just the bad people stick in peoples minds more!
And very well behaved, I must say…..😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Good for them. It can be difficult to screw up the courage to ask these sort of questions so well done for doing so.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I dunno if it's OK to say who it was but I'll give you a clue. P Inn
They're often our first port of call. Their staff are usually delightful.
Unless you want to take out a mortgage to rent a room for a night, you'd be very hard pushed to do better than this budget chain.

I've stayed in some of the top places in the world and I really do rate PI very highly. My first choice! (Especially if I'm paying for it.) :D
Stravaig
KG Regular

David dropped into the hotel again with a small Christmas pressie and card for that very kind man. He seemed astounded, like no 'customer' had ever been kind to him before. :)

When we get organised for our house-warming or between Chistmas and New Year party, he's definitely on the invitation list. :D
Primrose
KG Regular

What a lovely kindness. I bet they were a bit bemused by the request, but it was equally thoughtful of you to have repaid the favour. Sometimes people have to be taught to be kind, and it,s amazing what can happen when people experience it in action.

We,ve had favourable experiences of P Inn when visiting relatives in different parts of the country. My only dislike is the poncy unnecessary cushions on the bed !
Stephen
KG Regular

Ah yes, a little "thank you" goes a long way. Well done.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Husband at last contacted the landlord asking about the grab rail. Had a reply by return - sure, go ahead! So I'll not have to go begging at the nearby hotel again. :D

We had the chance of a quite super flat in Warsaw but the landlord was a sh!t. He refused to have his shower tiling damaged by a grab rail. (Our suction thingies won't work on a textured surface.) So we ended up staying in a very poorly equipped (it didn't even have proper beds) Airbnb instead for a few weeks because I could at least have a shower without risking life and limb.

A grab rail doesn't take anything away from the value of the property. It makes it more attractive to people with reduced mobility, and safer for those who don't. I don't know what was wrong with that guy in Poland (and we never met him). All the other Poles we met were very helpful and pleasant indeed. I wouldn't mind going back there sometime. For now I'm just glad of having this flat for a year.
Primrose
KG Regular

Glad you,ve finally sorted the grab rail issue. Having one is such a valuable anti-slip precaution in baths as people get older. I use one in cojunction with a bath board placed across the bath so I can have a sit down shower on it and then move my legs over the edge of the bath to get off.
Cassy0110
KG Regular

It's really funny :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic