Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

We made the most of today to get a myriad of jobs done at work having seen lots of rain clouds on the Tuesday forecast.
It was colder than billed this morning with white frost on parts of the main road.
Of interest, the canal pond at work is now back to regular level and a bit more, it made a couple of inches just over the weekend. It is ground water fed, and what falls from the sky too ;)

Sugar beet lifting has been continuing on the farm behind home here with a huge long pile ready to be scooped up by the Ropa Maus machine into the lorries. I was hoping to catch the lifter in the back field but they got it all done one day that I was out and I only got to see the "UFO" lights leaving the field as I arrived home...

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It had just started to dry a little, yesterday but, back to normal today with very heavy rain, a real nuisance….
The water table here, has topped itself right up….infact, it is just sitting on the surface of the ground at present.
What will you have to look at, when they have all the Sugar-beet safely gathered, Clive….😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

..at the moment, a lot of wet run down mud with wheelings everywhere.

They really must have planted almost all of the farm to Sugar Beet last year.
It will be interesting to see what the the next crop will be. The previous owner of the main farm wasn't a beet grower.

C.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Nice and sunny at the moment.
Westi
KG Regular

Nice for a couple of hours down here, but I spent a lot of the time retrieving & returning the bits & bobs blown around the plot. Beds still very wet but did manage to harvest some pretty good carrots & the last of the parsnips from the repurposed cold frame & even manage to sieve the soil in there & top up as visible stones had worked their way up. Looking good for Friday & Sunday but will see!
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Is it really still early winter? Seems more like "in the bleak mid-winter" to me and we're well into January. Constantly bucketing down with rain, high winds, fog and poor visibility. Meh.
Westi
KG Regular

Still looking good for tomorrow but I see we are dipping below zero again early next week with sleet thrown in for good luck. Worse weather around the world so I shouldn't complain, but methinks my plants might! ;)
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

I've just looked at our weather forecast, there's dark cloud 2 raindrop rain over 10 hours from 2am through to 11am hour, 80/90% and greater than 95% chance of on some hours.! and 50% chance of light rain for 3hrs after that.
...might be a tidy up hallway sideboard and front room type of day... only might be...

C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic