Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Quality is something we definitely have, Primrose….😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I really don't know tbh. I don't like all the multiple topics & their little explanation so maybe just Veg, Flowers, Weeds, Pests, Fowl, Recipes etc without sub forums? (Of course General Chatter)! It does go quiet on here this time of year but it is livening up on other sites with folk prepping, planning & getting ready to sow dependent on where they live. An active forum would make a great difference as the small group posting now don't cover all the areas of the UK even if someone new posts they don't have to fill in location so we just try to be helpful but could be giving wrong info to them.

Moving onto the mag itself; which in my opinion is the best, it is kinda trying too hard to be PC regarding the pressures of folk through the pandemic & current monetary difficulties people are experiencing. It's real & I don't deny it but maybe those experiencing it would appreciate a break from the reminders (which are on every medium) & just have the black & white growing advice?? It would be good if the sow/grow now bit was on a separate page that could be torn out for reference on the plot/garden (ads on the back of it type page) & more recipes added that are frugal? Move away from the 'celeb' advisors & contributors & milk the knowledge of older growers, farmers & inventive folk adapting to the challenges of economy & health?

OK! It's a long post & unlikely read by admin, but I hope you regular guys get my drift.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

As normal, Westi, a well thought out, and written post…

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just had our first Christmas card of the year….now that is early…😀

Colin2016
KG Regular

Put off posting over Christmas because of the having to keep signing in. I sign in to read post then have to sign in again to reply.

Just posted this without having to signing in wonder what has been changed?
retropants
KG Regular

I lost quite a few well established plants in my garden during the cold snap. One very large winter flowering Hebe is brown and dead. I may cut it down and see if it re-sprouts in the spring. All my tuberous begonias and pelargoniums are mush and several other bits and pieces are looking very sorry, even an ancient euphorbia mellifera is looking like it might be on its last legs. I grew that from seed when I moved in over 25 years ago.
Primrose
KG Regular

Retropants. If you can, delay in writing things off. I,ve found in the past that sometimes a plant which looks completely dead and beyond redemption above ground still has its roots intact. Sometimes it just needs a spell of temperate weather and a small dose of nourishment to coax it out of its coma.

I have some pelargoniums in pots which are very mushy. Going to get my other half to cut them down to soil level and then see what happens when the weather warms up. Some I,ve ve left in borders over winter in the past to which this has happened have occasionally resprouted. Normally I would just have taken cuttings from them but gardening recently has been very disorganised.
peter
KG Regular

https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-pxc ... ger/p51882 links now work and there's a thank-you button on all posts.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
snooky
KG Regular

PM'd you Primrose(hope it is in your inbox}
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Primrose
KG Regular

Somebody gave me a bowl of white hyacinth bulbs for Christmas.
They have just burst into flower and the perfume is divine. I,m sitting next to them in an armchair breathing in their heady perfume.
If anybody is stuck for Christmas present ideas for gardeners in future, I can recommend these. They certainly cheer up a dreary indoor January day & can then be planted outside to brighten up future spring borders..
retropants
KG Regular

Thanks primrose, I’m going to cut things back and then if they don’t re-grow, I’ll deal with them in the spring :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning, Peter, did you put the links and the thank-you button in place?

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Looking around my estate this morning [ well the back garden ] notice the roses are starting to bud.
peter
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:59 am Morning, Peter, did you put the links and the thank-you button in place?
OH, 😂 no, I twisted admins tail a little.

I spend my working days glued to a computer, have done so since 1980. Way less technical than I used to be, but much wider spread of responsibilities in different areas.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

I haven't one single little sun on my phone weather for the next fortnight! I'm going to have to buy wider shoes as I'm sure webbing is starting to grow between my toes! :)
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic