Late Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

That,a a shame tigerburnie. It was good seeing what you,ve been getting up to, especially in a slightly different climate from this neck of the woods.
A mini bonus for us down here yesterday. Our water board has lifted the hosepipe ban, which is hardly surprising seeing the speed at which our rain gauge has been filling up over recent weeks.

Did anybody see the short "Click" techie programme last Sunday morning.. Apparently moss has some unexpected qualities, one of which is that it can absorb and remove pollutants from the air. So I,ll no longer worry about the layers building up on our house roof. It may even be adding a layer of insulation!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That’s a very good way at looking at moss, Primrose…. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Our reception area at work was refurbished a few months ago and gained a moss wall, not sure how well it'll work by a busy North London crossroads, but it looks nice.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Finally got around to cutting the allotment grass today….slow going as it was 6 inches long and a little damp, so kept blocking the chute….but very rewarding once I had finished and a big heap of grass for the compost heap, and just the job to mix with the fallen leaves.

Geoff
KG Regular

Well much of the morning was looking how Black Friday was working for the world of gardening. Completed seed orders from five companies to use as many of DTB's offers as possible, just the posher Sweet Peas to source now (they look expensive). Then onto Elixir 15% off everything to source some pots, trays and fertiliser. Anybody found anything interesting?
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Is it me. Or is the forum dying a slow death since the powers to be altered the format. :roll:
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Geoff. Re sweet Peas. For many years I bought from MATTHEWMAN's www.sweetpeasonlinr.co.uk
They have them grown in New Zealand.
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks for that. I have used them in the past but forgot to check them this year, will do. Used Somerset and Eagles recently. 20p a seed seems expensive but then you have to remember what they give you, show varieties grown for cutting are a world away from a mixed packet.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Geoff. The cynic in me thought that mixed packets were left overs etc. I always bought to colour, , then just mixed them myself. I do miss the allotment.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I must admit, I haven’t ordered ay seeds yet, not even my seed potatoes..
Dear Shallot Man, is there anyway you could do a plot share with anyone?

Shallot Man
KG Regular

O.H. Since the Memsahib was taken from me [ dementia] I have lost all interest.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Shallot Man, I didn’t mean to stir up your tough emotional thoughts….I can only guess how tough it must be, when you lose a long term partner!

Shallot Man
KG Regular

OH. Hardest part was after 60 odd years of marriage to the light of my life. She was adamant we were not married. :( :(
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I know before my wonderful old neighbour died, he told me his wife used to tell people he was treating her badly and stole her pension….the cruelty of Dementia….he was a true Gentleman, so must have upset him hugely!

robo
KG Regular

I picked nine tomatoes today from my vines they look like they might give up and die shortly I’m hoping they last until December if they do it will be my first time I’ve managed it I have four plants left from around fifteen most died of blight the remaining ones are showing signs of it but keep going I also found a caterpillar on my peppers so I sprayed them they have just started to flower
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic