Late Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stephen
KG Regular

It is very sad that forums like this are losing out to Facebook. I can see the decline in the car club forum too and the speed of decline is rising.

I regard it as a retrograde move for reasons of searchability and access. (this along with the data harvesting) If your post on FaceAche doesn't get picked up quickly, it is soon lost in random inconsequential chatter.

I have tried it and dislike it, so haven't used it for years.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Changing the format has not helped this 89 yr old computer moron.
Westi
KG Regular

You soon loose the will to live on FB garden sites, especially each spring when new gardeners follow the advice on the seed packets & plant their lettuce in north Scotland in early March. I make a point of being kind in my answers but many responses are very harsh or downright rude. How are they to know when being advised by the seed packet it is OK to sow? It could be rectified by a beginners section with advice on these types of things & ground prep etc. but I think the goal is for them to have so many signed up members rather than allowing FB users direct & instant access to basic answers that are UK weather based not US).

That is the glory of this site you can ask stupid things & you get proper advice & as you know I really pushed you all hard years ago when I started. Now that post about can worms be cannibals I stand by - weird I know but the giant worm did eat the tiny little worm eventually! :)

Now Shallot Man you are not a computer moron at all as you are on here & persevering with the changes. I'm no IT person but someone who is just told me to open everything showing that lets you as you can't break anything & make a written note of what it is that comes up so if you need to go back you know what you did. I'll be honest I had a lot of notes to start, but you eventually just use a few of the options anyway. Or even easier just post what you are looking for on here & you will be guided in plain English & simple steps. (Of course the plain English won't be from me, my brain is still predominately Australian & erratic)!
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Westi. re Australian. Everyone has their cross to bear. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We all love your posts, Westi and you are now the back bone of the forum, so thank you….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

O.H. One must presume you are now back with the living.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Shallot Man, i’m getting there, but still not firing on all cylinders….did three hours work this morning and felt shattered!
Hopefully I will keep improving, as I hate not being fit….

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very wet and windy here, so been potting up some pots of Crocus a Iris, in the glasshouse.

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Minus 1.9 in the greenhouse the other night, proper finished off the last remaining flowers, Nasturtium has gone and the Roses have finally given up. Put some fleece over the carrots and parsnips for the winter as a chance of snow in the area.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
peter
KG Regular

Had to scrape the car windows yesterday morning, 1.5C all the way to the M25, then once inside the M25 it went up to 4.5 and stayed there for the next seven miles south.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
retropants
KG Regular

We've built a hedgehouse house, as a little fellow has appeared in our garden. First discovered at about 9.30pm last week eating the left over bird seed on the patio. We've now been putting out a heap of mealworms and a dish of rainwater for him/her each night. We've seen him/her a few times since then. I hope he/she finds the house! I filled it with straw and dry oak leaves. It's in the back corner of the garden where we think he/she is sleeping. we are over the moon!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

retropants. Just a suggestion. Why not signs leading to the hedgehog house, with a trail of food. :wink:
Westi
KG Regular

Jealous retropants! We used to have them visit but everyone has been putting in concrete fencing so no pathway for them now. I have seen them on the school side going along under the brambles & honeysuckle so dug under the fencing so if it wanted it could visit & I would have supported them with feeding & a house. Unfortunately the hole was never used, but found by the fox cubs who caused a lot of chaos so I had to refill it.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Since the software update it seems I can no longer link images from my flickr site, so no more links to videos and most of my photographs.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well I hope thy can get that sorted out, Tigerburnie!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic