Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Bertoli spread(we don't eat butter for health reasons), tub size has just reduced and the price.................................increased, might try a supermarket own brand or do without all together.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Looking for an Aurora tonight, nothing doing, but my daughter saw a shooting star from her home in Perth, star gazing is becoming yet another hobby, I really can't afford another hobby lol.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Had my second letter from the NHS saying how important it is to get the Covid jab. Would love too, but local chemist is still waiting for delivery. :roll:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That’s not good enough, Shallot Man…..how frustrating.

A bit nippy on the fingers this morning….a lot of the veg is coming to an end now and the third lot of runner beans certainly haven’t been impressed with the strong winds we have been having but, they are cropping quite well…
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:Bertoli spread(we don't eat butter for health reasons), tub size has just reduced and the price.................................increased, might try a supermarket own brand or do without all together.

tigerburnie.

Worth a try, probable made by Bertoli. :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

Both the Lidl and Aldi olive spreads are fine, not been to Aldi for a while but Lidl have had no stock the last two visits. We are siege stockists, only shop every 3 or 4 weeks.
Westi
KG Regular

There does seem to be an issue with the Covid jabs down here as well. Mr had to cancel his appointment as had a hospital appointment; GP surgery advised in advance & unable to re-arrange at the time & now has no vaccine & hasn't for a few weeks. Hospital staff down here have just got theirs so supply must be trickling through again.

I thought I would try the NHS site - it is pants! You have to click what category you fall under so booking hubby first booked high risk, 1st question was how old & it promptly said he wasn't eligible due to age. Hmm? High risk does not have an age range in the details just the conditions which he met 3 & incidentally is in the age range. I tried as carer of someone high risk so also fall in that category & ditto response. Only walk in centres are miles away unless I fancy a trip to Bristol, but I think that info refers to last autumn's booster so not even in date if that is the case.

Thought at least we could get our flu jab from the chemist - my local branch not showing on the list but I know they do it. I think - (when the bruising goes down on my forehead from knocking it on the brick wall), I will just go & speak to the pharmacy & pay for us if I have to. It's £14.99 which we shouldn't have to pay but likely to be so much easier & flu is the big danger this year.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

We had Covid and flu vaccinations last Sunday at a community centre 9 miles away, they were run by a pharmacy. What an administrative madness though, no wonder NHS is groaning under the administrative burden. Greeted at the door and checked off a list. Met inside where we were checked again and given an A4 notice showing we were having both jabs. Interviewed by somebody who checked who we were and asked us all the questions to show we were fit to have them and for us to give our consent to have them, entered our answers on a computer. Moved on to another person who asked most of the same questions whilst looking at his hand held computer. Moved on to the person doing the injections who had to find our records on his computer and ask the questions again, separately for the two jabs this time. Then he finally did it, if anybody was prone to panic attacks they certainly gave them time to have one. We qualified on age.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:That’s not good enough, Shallot Man…..how frustrating.

A bit nippy on the fingers this morning….a lot of the veg is coming to an end now and the third lot of runner beans certainly haven’t been impressed with the strong winds we have been having but, they are cropping quite well…

I'm glad that your runner beans are cropping quite well, mine were very poor, the worst I have ever grown. I did not look after them properly; I'm a bit of a fair weather gardener these days. I did manage to plant a couple of rows of broad beans on Sunday and cleared weeds from my swedes. My late sown carrots haven't come to much although my turnips that I sowed alongside them have all germinated well. I have just started picking my cooking apples in now.

Best wishes
Barney
tigerburnie
KG Regular

3.5 degrees in my greenhouse last night, I reckon nothing much will be growing now, except for the grass of course.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We are meant to be having a frost tonight, so I suppose that will finish a lot of things off, on the the allotments,
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

yes, there was a light frost on the park this morning as I cycled to work. I'll probably need to get the tomatoes down now, they are in a plastic shelter which has succeeded in keeping the blight off this year.
Colin2016
KG Regular

I am are very fortunate that surgery runs efficiently and can deal with problems.

Er indoors and myself were booked in for flue & covid jabs last Saturday on arrival found that only my name was booked in. Not to worry they fitted her in for both straight away no drama just sorted it with a smile. We both left 15 minutes latter all jabbed up.

A few year back before covid we drove into the car park for flu jabs each which were done whilst in the car. We would have been out quicker if they had not made a great fuss of the dog on the back seat.
Westi
KG Regular

Today we got a letter from the GP surgery reminding 'Mr' to re-book, however the log in given had more behind it than anything on the general Covid site. Straight on, no mucking around as just NHS number & DOB & we are now both booked into the walk in centre (a couple of miles away), for the 31st Oct. I'm assuming this 'extra' is something to do with the GP confirming his risk status by sharing this hidden link as not even mentioned in the questions. Nothing about the flu but I've got to pick up his meds from the chemist so I shall ask them directly.

Numbers with Covid rising down here - Southampton truly hit bad as though coming through testing as Omnicrom variant they are requiring admission & local joint hospitals have over 100 admissions. Time for the masks to be dusted off or washed everyone! I've started wearing them again in the shops & noted lots of others are as well. It was nice being free of a mask & not having my glasses fogged up but summer will come again! Stay safe! x
Westi
snooky
KG Regular

Had both jabs tonight after I had put them off in case of a reaction(advised to)as I had to go into hospital for short stay surgery.Sent home yesterday,went on line and the deed was done this evening.The surgery was to investigate an abnormality in the bladder found when I had a scan on my colon.Lesions found removed and sent off to a lab for checking but it doesn't look good.Will find out in two weeks time.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Locked Previous topicNext topic