Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

OdliDPrincess
KG Regular

I'm also collecting the occasional tomato, which is protected from blight by a small plastic shelter.
peter
KG Regular

Thyrsites atun (Euphrasén, 1791), the snoek, is a long, thin species of snake mackerel found in the seas of the Southern Hemisphere, and a popular food fish in South Africa, particularly along the west and southwest coast.

See this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThyrsitesWikipedia
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Garden full of birds this morning, first of the winter migrants including Redwing and Fieldfare eating the Rowan berries.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

I was going to say the more southerly correspondents can expect some Fieldfares judging by the flocks that have been going past us this week. They come down through what is known as the Lune Gap then follow the line of a Roman road past us, perhaps the Romans watched them to work out the best route.
Primrose
KG Regular

A house near us has the most magnificent hedge of orange pyracantha berries I,ve seen for years, possibly the result of summer warmth.
I,ve no doubt that when the first really cold spell arrives the owners will wake up one morning and find that it has been miraculously stripped of berries overnight.
This happened to us one year in a cold spell when an entire fence of berries was stripped by itinerant fieldfares in less than 24 hours. It was quite a sight to watch.
So much for those who recommend pyracantha hedges for prolonged autumn colour !
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I'm hoping if the wind remains in the east we might get a lot more winter migrants from Scandinavia like this Waxwing I got a few years ago.
ImageWaxwing by tigerburnie, on Flickr
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Primrose. Brings back memories of years ago in the London Docks. Had some empty barges to load that had previously carried bulk corn.
Within a short time, we had hundreds of goldfinches & Greenfinches arrive. Which raised the question, how did they let each other know.
Westi
KG Regular

We certainly got a huge thunder & lightning storm this afternoon that went on for ages. Very spectacular & very loud & took the electric out! Looks like I will be raking up another few bags of leaves tomorrow so no real complaints!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Primrose. Brings back memories of years ago in the London Docks. Had some empty barges to load that had previously carried bulk corn.

Within a short time, we had hundreds of goldfinches & Greenfinches arrive. Which raised the question, how did they let each other know.

Maybe they have their own avian social media ! I suspect it,s possibly like the seagulls. They see one swoop down which acts as a signal for the rest that there's something worth investigating.
We certainly find that applies here with red lites who have incredible eyesight. Throw a scrap of bacon rind on the lawn and if one spots it half a dozen will appear from out of the ether within a few seconds.
robo
KG Regular

Cracking photo tiger
Geoff
KG Regular

Can it be a bad omen to appoint a Prime Minister during an eclipse?
Westi
KG Regular

Is everyone in shock from the look of the new forum? Does that explain the lack of posts while you sit down for a bit after staring at the brightness?

It is really weird being so mild down here. On the positive I'm glad I risked a few late sows, still harvesting things that should have been frosted out by now, tunnel is still hitting 30C so still have cucumbers, aubergines, peppers, chillies & a sneaky tomato still growing & ripening in there. On the negative the white fly are in abundance & have seen a few cabbage whites around as well & the worse thing will be when the winter really kicks in & hits I will be behind with everything as only then will I be able to clear, manure & cover the beds. The asparagus fronds are only just turning now as well. Mind it should warm me up at least!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I really don't find the new format at all user friendly. The massive expanse of white is very harsh on the eyes so I doubt I'll be rushing to spend so much time checking in on here going forward, which is a shame.

I was saying to somebody today I can't recall a time when we've been so late in October without having the heating on. I just hope we don't pay for it later in winter.

The weeds in our garden are certainly loving the weather. My OH spent a lot of time clearing them all out for winter about 2 - 3 weeks ago and they're covering everywhere again. Not sure he has the stamina now for a repeat performance.
Stephen
KG Regular

Indeed plenty of weeds growing well still.
Must plant some more winter salad stuff while the weather is sympathetic.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
robo
KG Regular

I’ve lost a few tumbling tomatoes I’m not sure it’s from blight or not I have ten growing in hanging baskets all in a line with netting underneath to catch the falling ones strange thing is there’s one at the end and one in the middle that have died the rest are still going strong ,I’ve had a good year with them about the only thing on the plot that has produced apart from the fruit bushes
Locked Previous topicNext topic