Greek cooking.

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

I made Pastitsada,a Greek beef stew with pasta,for my evening meal and it was blooming lovely.Not cooked it before and I have enough left over to freeze for two more meals.
My next foray into Greek cooking will be a Lamb Kleftiko,I hope.The recipe calls for a Leg of Lamb but as I am just cooking for myself I am going to substitute Lamb Shank or Chump Chops and adjust the rest of the ingrdients to suit.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
tigerburnie
KG Regular

What veg did you use?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
snooky
KG Regular

Other than onions,garlic and tinned tomatoes,the recipe for the Pastitsada did not speify any veg but ,I suppose a green salad on the side would be O.K.

Pastitsada Recipe

Ingredients

2 pounds boneless beef cubes
1 pound pastitsio noodles (bucatini)Or your choice
1/3 cup olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, grated
1 (16 oz) can tomatoes, pureed
1 cup of water
1/4 teaspoon (or more) crushed red pepper flakes
1 Bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
2-3 whole cloves
salt and black pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese or kefalograviera, grated
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

Instructions

Heat the olive oil in a pot. Brown the beef in a few batches for 3-4 minutes. Set aside in a plate/bowl.

Add the onions to the pot and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.

Add the garlic and warm through for a few seconds.

Add the beef cubes back to the pot with the remaining ingredients except for the parsley and cheese.

Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Cover the pot and cook until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened. About 1 and 1/2-2 hours. Stir the stew often and add more water if it thickens too much before the beef is ready.

Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.

Cook the pasta according to the package instructions and drain. Toss with butter.

Garnish with parsley and serve over pasta. Top with plenty of grated cheese. Enjoy!
Notes

Make-Ahead Instructions: The beef stew keeps fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days. You may also freeze it for up to 2-3 months. When you're ready to serve it, that it overnight in the refrigerator and warm it through in a pot with a cup of water. taste and adjust the seasonings and garnish with some fresh parsley,
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
robo
KG Regular

My wife used to be a great cook, we used to take it in turn with a couple we were friends with each would cook a meal for after throwing out time on a Saturday we only lived a street away from each other only problem was when it was our turn we had three daughters waiting to join inn and gave their views on what we served out
OdliDPrincess
KG Regular

I also love cooking but have no time to try new recipes. Have a list of 10 meals. Cook them one by one.
My husband says I cook well. Hope this is true.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic