Weed control

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

MR.SORRELL
KG Regular

Hi,

If I use glyphosate to control my weeds where is the best place to buy it at the best price, for an area the size of a tennis court.

Secondly, is roundup the right stuff? From Homebase....must be real expensive.

This will save me digging endless weeds correct?

Cheers.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I don't like putting chemicals on ground I intend to grow edibles, I don't fancy eating that stuff, can you not try removing or smothering the weeds with cardboard or something to keep out the light?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

I find the best deals are usually from Amazon. (Proper brands not Chinese ones)! Varieties of sizes & the description tells you the M2 each covers. However I suspect the canny folk on here will be aware of better bargains to be had.
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Tiger,

All the ones available now are safe & do not leech into the soil. Something to do with Brexit I believe, but of course care needs to be taken with spraying. I do not spray but paint it on so assured no spray goes where it is not wanted. I do not use it on the beds it is purely for the weeds along the fence lines as I can't pull them or cover them as entwined in the chicken wire.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

One year's seed, seven years weed! If you can't dig at the moment and if they haven't already gone to seed strim them off and remove the strimmings then you have a choice. What to do depends a bit on what they are. Are they annuals like chickweed, groundsel, shepherd's purse etc. or perennials like nettles, docks and bindweed? Annuals you can dig in, perennials you should remove or kill before digging in. How you kill them is up to you, physically with cardboard or plastic covering, chemically with glyphosate (for your area buy 2 or 5 litres of concentrate off eBay).
peter
KG Regular

Glyphosate is the active ingredient, Roundup is a trade name.

The best way to get it is to find a farm store, one that sells stuff for farmers or someone with a padlock or to for horses to use. My nearest styles itself as an "Agricultural Merchants"
They srl 1L or 5L concentrate of glyphosate, you have to fill your sprayer with n litres of water then add tge correct amount of concentrate, close the sprayer and shake it to mix thoroughly.

NB glyphosate only works on actively growing healthy plants, so not for use during late autumn through to mid or late spring. Nor in drought during summer.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic