Late Summer Bits and Bobs, dear Monika.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Going to plant Garlic grown from last year wondering if I can use spuds from last year as well, any thoughts?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I always miss a few spuds and they grow the next year, problems are likely to be less resistance to disease/pests and they usually give a smaller crop. I don't grow Garlic, so can't offer any advice.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:I stopped growing runner beans after poor returns too, I found French Beans to be a much better plant all round and less of a glut too.I didn't grow any this year, but intend to next.

I also thought French Beans were better.
Geoff
KG Regular

We are back in love with runner beans after switching to Firestorm; good flavour, tender and hugely prolific (we are struggling to give them away this year everybody says we've filled their freezers already).
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I alternate my beans, this year we had Broad Beans, next will be climbing Frenchies, I get fed up with them otherwise, at the moment I'm not sure I can look another tomato in the eye...........................
Shallot Man
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:I always miss a few spuds and they grow the next year, problems are likely to be less resistance to disease/pests and they usually give a smaller crop. I don't grow Garlic, so can't offer any advice.

tigerburnie. I too would find overlooked tatties. Would leave them in and grow around them. Used them as Early's.
Westi
KG Regular

Well as much as the plot has enjoyed a week of squally showers I am pleased to see the little sun on the phone weather. I'd just got on top of the weeds but pretty sure they will be back in abundance. I really wanted to take up my spuds & bag them up for storage but that will have to wait a wee while until it dries out a bit.

I think I will forced to take any toms that are ready as the rain would have snuck in under the cover so they will have had a double water with the dripper hose as well so you can bet they will split pretty quick if I don't harvest them, although it might already be too late. We have the new modified car now so at least I will be able to get everything home intact. And the doggie under-gardeners will be able to come down with me as well which they will like as neither are too keen on lead walks. I bet they have forget all the rules about staying off the beds though! ;)
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Just a minute the suns come back, it almost looks like summer again...................grass needs cutting again.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Watching an advert on my favourite chocolate, that states a glass and a half of milk in each bar. As the bars are shrinking, presumable they use a smaller glass or maybe an eggcup. :roll:
peter
KG Regular

Bishop's Stortford Rugby Club tribute for our match v Cambridge yesterday.
FB_IMG_1662886285035.jpg
FB_IMG_1662886285035.jpg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:I stopped growing runner beans after poor returns too, I found French Beans to be a much better plant all round and less of a glut too.I didn't grow any this year, but intend to next.

I also thought French Climbing Beans were better.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I don't know if this is worth a mention from O.H. But have just noticed I have lived through five Reigns. George v. Ed V111. George V1. Eliz 11. Now Charles 111. Can distinctly hear the sound of a Syth being sharpened. :wink: :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't think many have seen more!

George V - he succeeded his father on May 6, 1910, died January 20, 1936.
As of 10 September 2022, the oldest person living in the United Kingdom is Ethel Caterham, born 21 August 1909, aged 113 years, 20 days.

Pity Charles doesn't use his third name (Charles Philip Arthur George) - we need a hero to get us out of this mire of mediocrity and decline.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oop's. Senile decay.
Geoff
KG Regular

Hope I didn't confuse you, nothing wrong with your post, just pointing out there will probably only be a handful can go one better, the last Edwardians.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic