Mid Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

retropants
KG Regular

my greenhouse registered 56.5/133.7 yesterday, but there's only succulents & cacti in there, and they are loving it! Last year the peppers didn't enjoy so much heat, so they're outside this year.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Four regulars on the Forum at the same time, must be a record for a long while…..three nice ones and me… :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Clive. Meant to add I to was in the R.A.S.C [Fire Service branch ]
tigerburnie
KG Regular

40 degrees in the greenhouse, been sowing some late spring cabbage seeds, a bit late, but they've more chance growing in compost than they have left in the packet.......................
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Stephen
KG Regular

I use a siphon to empty the bath onto the flower beds,

How very well organised Retro. My bathroom is in the middle of the house and windowless, it would require a decent length of hose to reach a useful point.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

It certainly is hot, my courgettes are suffering along with most vegetables in this dry period. I hurt my back (again) three weeks ago lifting a trapped ewe over a fence and this has resulted in the weeds taking hold. My back is a bit less sore now so I am trying to carefully hoe and pull the weeds but I won't be doing much in this heat. I just hope that we get some rain to fill my water butts.

Barney
Cider Boys
KG Regular

At last it is now raining here, but for how long? Let's hope it persists and spreads to all your areas.

Barney
Geoff
KG Regular

Well that was a weird afternoon, heat wave crashed down from 34.9°C at 2:20 to 24.6°C at 4:20, now it's creeping back up.

I noticed Somerset cricket stopped.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Barney, sorry to here you are suffering with your back, it really does make everything a lot harder to do, so I hope it soon improves a lot more for you!
Well Woburn recorded 40c today and here in Milton Bryan we are normally a little hotter…we had a strongest breeze with it, what has burnt a lot of leaves on different plants, but mainly the courgettes, marrows and the beans.
Still no rain though….

Westi
KG Regular

Had an apology from mother nature with a wee shower this evening at home. Not heavy, but persistent & for about 10 - 15mins! Just hope it also visited the allotment or I shall have quite a long water as the soil will be capped with the temp. I just hope there is no one down so I can do a thorough water up & back down again.

I expect most of the lettuce will have bolted, the sweetcorn should have been happy, wasps probably have found Plum Beauty which is laden this year, but what I don't want to see is the one cauliflower that evaded the rat invasion bolted, but it is really tiny & in partial shade so finger crossed. Just a very pleasant 23C expected tomorrow.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Biggest issue with the high temp for me is the dog, she was flaked out for hours yesterday afternoon on concrete out of the sun with a cool a draft. At night she pants so much it is such worry, trying to get here to cool down with wetting here belly and paws.
Primrose
KG Regular

Such a joy this morning to feel a cooler breeze coming through the bedroom windows.
I suspect resillience to heat is possibly an age thing. When I was younger I could sit out or garden in hot temperatures without being affected. As you get older one's resilience to outside influences unfortunately seems to become less reliable.

I suspect the next new growth market will be in all things which make higher temperatures more bearable.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Colin2016, I found putting a hot water bottle in the freezer, until well chilled is a big help….normally gives them about 3 hours of coolness, if they will lay next to it, that is!

Got a seriously spinning head this morning…..heat related I would think….

Primrose
KG Regular

Take care OH. One of the early signs of heat exhaustion I suspect.
retropants
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:
Got a seriously spinning head this morning…..heat related I would think….

I felt the same this morning, had to 'sleep' on the sofa, upstairs was over 32 degrees. I suspect I'll be nodding off after dinner this eve.

Ohh, I forgot to add, I saw a snake yesterday, first time ever! Was curled up in the drive at my brother's house, I was waiting in for the gas man!! I ran in to get my phone to take a pic and when I came back out, it had vanished. Pretty sure it was a grass snake. :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic