Mid Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Robo, that,s disconcerting experience. Hope you can at least rescue some of the plums and tomatoes but cutting out any bad bits. Not proving a good growing year for anybody really, is it?
I,ve come to the c clusion thwt sweetcorn is a berry vulnerable crop to grow. Too many wild creatures seem to take a fancy to the cobs.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

At last, some rain.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Lots of rain here too…just another foot of rain and I will be happy… :)

Sorry to here about the problems at your allotment, Robo….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

I was delighted too, Primrose. Decent rain for most of the morning and damp even the afternoon. But I'll still put a trowel into the ground at the weekend to see how deep into the soil the water has reached.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
peter
KG Regular

Went in to the office yesterday in pouring rain and impressive thunder and lightning.
After greeting the dogs when I got home first port of call was my IBC setup on my new allotment shed.
Another 400 litres. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Went Whale watching yesterday, we have a Humpback in our area again, we did see it jump out of the water twice, but it was a long way out, so no pictures yet, hope to see it again over the weekend as it tends to hang around for a while.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I hope you are not hoarding, Peter…. :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well the weed seeds didn’t take long to germinate, after that bit of rain…

Westi
KG Regular

Indeed they didn't OH! I haven't a clue what weeds I have on my plots as really tiny but literally all the same all over the place. I hoed them but so tiny & now soil is damp they just turn over in it & regrow!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Humpbacks are the one of the biggest dangers to small boats ,seems when they leap out of the water it’s part of the mating ritual they see the hull of a boat and think it’s a female leap out of the water and land on her , at least an old mate of my dad captain Ahab told me when I was a nipper
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I was sat on a beach Robo, so I should be safe, we never any yesterday, but may go later today in a different spot.
I don't have any weeds in my garden, I do have quire a few wild flowers in the wrong place on occasion though, growing in raised beds really does reduce the problem, though sadly not the slugs and snails, 18 winter cabbages, completely gone in less than a week.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

It must be a sight worth seeing Bernie ,the best we can hope for is dolphins we had them in the mouth of the Mersey a few years ago the last couple of years we don’t even get mackerel I put it down to all the seals that are in the bay , one of the jobs I had to do on the plot was make a new shed door for the chicken shed the rats have eaten through the bottom of the existing one that much the bottom hinge was only attached to fresh air , I found 2 pieces of ply wood left in the car park seems people just dumped it so I got my grandson to carry it to my work area that was yesterday this morning I finished it off looks pretty good if I say so myself I them picked the rest of the plums another supermarket basket half full ,
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Oak Trees out the front, are shedding acorns by the bucket load.
Last edited by Shallot Man on Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm not expecting the usual autumn display of colour in the forest this year. So many trees suffered from the heat & dry & have already shed or shedding their leaves. Shame really as looks so amazing usually but accept the trees know best & will do what necessary to survive. Fortunately rain/showers on the forecast nearly every day next week.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Shallot Man I expect acorn, conker and beech mast harvests will be very poor this autumn due to lack of rain. I suppose that will mean an increased invasion of local squirrels into our garden digging up all our buried spring bulbs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic