Late Winter Bits and Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elmigo
KG Regular

Slowly started building the greenhouse foundation and some wall parts just inbetween the rainfall and stormy days. Really keeping my fingers crossed for a dry weekend so I can finish the job! The only thing left to do is lifting up the greenhouse, putting it onto the already built foundation and shooting some bolts and nuts in it. We're close to a new season here!

20200226_201255.jpg
20200226_201255.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 2607 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Gosh Elmigo, you're doing really well, especially with the current wet weather presenting such a challenge. Are you enlisting the help of your neighbours to get it moved?
I always think one of the nicest things about having a greenhouse is being able to be outside, yet in the dry and able to get in with certain chores while you listen to the rain pouring down on the window panes !

Is that a guttering on it? Will Yiu have space for a small water butt nearby to collect water? It,s surprising how much you use to keep your seedlings and plants thriving alive in really hot or dry weather.
Elmigo
KG Regular

Yes this one has two gutters and yesterday when building it I was thinking about the same thing! Have to find a way to connect some watering system to those gutters, which is going to be quite a challenge... Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'll be getting help from someone in my family moving it to the foundation.
Stephen
KG Regular

Nice size!
I make do with a tiny thing which is smaller than a sentry box but it will do for me.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Elmigo, don't the company you bought it off, do a gutter kit for it...just a thought.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Just started snowing, though it looks like it could change to sleet .
Elmigo
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Morning Elmigo, don't the company you bought it off, do a gutter kit for it...just a thought.

Haven't found it yet, thanks for the reminder!
retropants
KG Regular

fabulouse greenhouse Elmigo! happy growing :)
Colin2016
KG Regular

Know you are tight on space how about putting water butt underground them slab on top for pots or if you don't fancy digging make wooden frame to fit slab. Use bilge pump attached to hose pipe for getting water out.
Stephen
KG Regular

Second wettest February since records began in the UK.#
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26367160

And for the winter...
I think here in Berkhamsted we have had twice the average.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Looking good Elmigo!
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

In spite off waking up to light snow the last three mornings, the sowing has started: broad beans, sweet peppers and night-scented stock, all under cover of course.
Primrose
KG Regular

If I'd had the energy and the space I could have had a free swimming pool in our garden by now ! Or at least a very large pond!
Makes you wonder whether, instead of fitting solar panels on all new properties, builders shouldn't be installing massive underground water storage tanks as provision against long summer droughts.
Elmigo
KG Regular

I totally agree! Why not save water during winter for drought during summer? It's perfect.
Elmigo
KG Regular

One of the pros of being officially registered as a business is buying stuff for wholesale prices. I just ordered a large amount of seed packs from many different vegetables for the store and made sure to purchase a little extra for the garden aswell :mrgreen:

By the weather forecast in the Netherlands it looks like positioning the greenhouse has to wait untill after this weekend!

Yes... Yesterday I cleaned a sweet pointy pepper so Primrose, I guess we're on the same team now! I'm drying those and then sowing them together with the other peppers :mrgreen:

The first tiny dots of kiwano are showing up above the ground. Very soon, about two days after sowing!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic