which hand warmer kit

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peterf
KG Regular

hi all,ive finally had to admit to not being 18 years old anymore, and starting to feel the old injuries gathered over the years.its been freezing here since last friday (north pennines)so as most my working day is spent feeding sheep on the fells,im gunna have to turn into a softie and get something to keep me a bit warmer.ive been looking at these hand warming gadgets, they light a charcoal fuel rod and stick it in your pocket 8 hrs heat,theres also some new kind that runs hotter and longer on lighter fuel.has anyone tried either of these and got any advice. brrrr thanks peter :cry:
A. Guest

My wife uses the Charcoal type and Quite likes them. She smells a bit like a dodgey joss stick but nothing too overpowering. You have to get the hang of lighting properly. You can also put them out and relight. We are going to try the "re-chargable" chemical ones which last about 2 hours at a time. but I have no experience of "lighter fuel" type or have never seen them for sale....best regards.
peterf
KG Regular

THANKS ID NEVER SEEN THE LIGHTER FUEL TYPE BEFORE.THEY ARE MORE EXPENSIVE BUT THE WRITE UPS LOOK REALLY GOOD,WISH I NEW MORE ALL THE BEST PETERF.
nog
KG Regular

The Charcoal ones are better but you need to make sure that the end is lit to about 1/4in and you snap the case closed properly or they go out or set your pocket on fire. You have to light them on the Gas stove.

I also use the Hot Gel selfheating hand warmers they are a plastic pouch filed with liquid with a metal disk floating in it. you bend the disk and there is a chemical reaction and it gets hot. They stay hot for about 1/2hour. Then the liquid goes solid and they go cold. You then pop them in boiling water and they reset.

The good thing is that you can have a load in your pocket and pop them when you need them. They come in packs of two for about £10. I have about adozen of them and put them in the 4x4 when we go out, shove a load in one pocket of my barbour and use the and hand them to the kids as needed when we get home I boil them up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic