Cutting Horticultural Glass

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

loznkate
KG Regular

Hi all,

Is there an easy way to get greenhouse glass to snap along the 'glasscutter line' rather than smashing into small random pieces?

I've tried to replace some of the cracked panes but the fiddly ones are proving expensive. I might have to get some cut proper. And I'd hate to admit defeat.

I have a Stanley glass cutter and a framing square. I score the line and place the pane over match sticks. It follows the line for 6 inches and then vias off into the 'good' glass. Infuriating!

Do garden centres tend to stock replacement glass?

Loz
Allan
KG Regular

At the Malvern show I watched a demo by a man who seemed to know a trick or two.He sold me a job lot of very useful tool gadgets, part of that was a multi-tool that featured a wheel type glass cutter. When demonstrating this he put a line of oil on where the cut was to be, I have never come across this idea before and I will try it out in due course. Other hints are that unfortunately old glass is more difficult to cut than new, also that half the battle is to overcome ones nervousness otherwise your cut line is uneven which doesn't help and is overcome with lots of practice on scraps that don't matter. He also said only break the glass from the end, pressure in the middle will send the break off.I find a thick blanket the best backing, and elementary, don't go over the same line twice.
I inherited a diamond glass cutter, it was no better than a good wheel and once spoilt by incorrect use was no good at all, The 6-wheel cheap ones are quite good enough, if in doubt go on to the next wheel.
Tapping along the back of the cut line with something hard sometimes helps but can make for a wandering cut.
Allan
Allan
KG Regular

There are some useful ideas here:-
(I'll do some more surfing later.)
Allan

http://www.lessonplanspage.com/ArtDelph ... ues912.htm
John
KG Regular

Hello Loznkate
Horticultural glass is easy to get hold of. Builders merchants, garden centres and glass merchants would all have it - it comes in standard sizes 18" x 24" and 24" x 24".
These people will also cut it for you if you need a non-standard size. If you are cutting it yourself, when you have scored it you need to tap the glass all along under the scoring line you've made, fairly sharply with a metal object (back of the cutter?) then snap it over an edge. You should get a clean break.

John
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Loz,
I take it that it is used glass you are using and that is renown for its bloodymindedness to be cut.
I glazier showed me how to use a proper diamond cutter and it is the finest tool in the world for the job.
With used glass it is generally old and old glass is exceedingly tough and brittle and dirty.
You must make sure that the glass is absolutely clean and the glazer used a 'T' Square and lubricated with pure Oil of Turpntine dipping a brush into the OoT and running it down side of the T square and then cutting was no problem.
It must be Genuine Oil of Turpentine not a substitute.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

Horticultural glass is still available also as Dutch Light glass and subdivisions thereof. My two large greenhouses (Hartley) use this entirely.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic