Owl

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Carole B.
KG Regular

how's this for an odd situation...we have a Little Owl nesting in the hens laying house,it has chosen the cubby hole at the far end and has mostly got used to OH lifting the lid to gather the hens eggs,yesterday she decided to 'spook' and fly off and she was sitting on 2 owls eggs and 1 bantam egg! He removed the the bantam egg as it could have been one confused chick! She is back sitting again now.
We're amazed that the hens are still going in to lay.
Diane
KG Regular

Oh - that's wonderful. Hope she manages to hatch them out ok. Don't tell Bill Oddie or you'll have a camera crew arrive :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
jopsy
KG Regular

The little owl likes farmland, or so it says on the rspb website!
I think you're really lucky
We often hear owls near us; but never see them.
Our friends built an owl hole in their converted barn but they only got swallows and sparrows!
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
Carole B.
KG Regular

We know that they have nested in the old oak tree in the field outside the garden,perhaps this is one of last years young having her first go.
It is fascinating to give a sideways glance into the nest box and see a 360 deg.head turning trick as she eyes you up!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Carole,
I too have a pair of Little Owls nesting in the bottom of an old Sally on the plot and have done so for a number of years. We have a double power line running through and the Little Owls are quite active during the day and they perch in between the two insulators carrying the cable and they just look like an insulator until you realise that there are three all of a sudden.
I think that you are exceedingly priviledged to have such a thing happen and to be able to observe them at such close quarters would thrill me to bits.
Last edited by Johnboy on Sat May 20, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JB.
Chez
KG Regular

Hello Carole - I am soooo envious of you! We have several Little Owls here and see them regularly perched on fence posts in the back garden and sometimes on the kitchen garden wall looking down on us as we work. Last year we had two young and fluffy ones on the fence posts with a parent - being taught to hunt, I suppose. But we have never experienced the closeness you now are - what an absolute delight! Have you thought about taking photos of it, or do you think that would disturb it too much?

We often hear the Tawny Owls close by, but have not seen one. And in the early mornings last year, we frequently saw up close-ish, a Barn Owl hunted in the fields around us. We often saw it with an unfortunate rodent in its talons heading back to its nest in a knarled old tree about 100 yards away. We are eagerly awaiting its reappearance again this year - no sign yet though. Still the Little Owls are here now, so hopefully not too long before the Barn Owl makes its seasonal entrance too.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Carole B.
KG Regular

We are trying not to disturb her too much,yesterday OH managed to slide a three sided cardboard box onto her cubby hole so that when we lift the lid she is not disturbed.As much as it would be fascinating to watch I think we will let her have her privacy.
Am I right in thinking Little Owls are mainly insect eaters?
Chez
KG Regular

According to the RSPB Handbood of British Birds - 'it feeds on small mammals, birds, insects and invertebrates. Mammals include shrews and voles. Insects include beetles, caterpillars and adult moths, especially common species that hatch in large numbers, and cockchafers. It reguraly feeds on earthworms, which it hunts on the ground.'
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Carole B.
KG Regular

Thanks Chez,I keep posting any developments.
mandylew
KG Regular

oohh, could we pleease see a photo, my 8 yr old would be thrilled.

Mandy
Carole B.
KG Regular

Sorry Mandylew,I can't get at her at the moment,we,ve covered the end cubby hole over to give her some privacy,we don't want to scare her into leaving the eggs.There's been no obvious movement of mum going in and out with food so we presume she's still sitting.
Geoff
KG Regular

Give Bill Oddie a call - let's get a webcam in there.
Carole B.
KG Regular

Disappointment yesterday I'm afraid,having seen no sign of mother owl going in or out OH lifted the corner of the box and found no owl but 1 cold owl egg,it was addled so had never been fertile.There was also 3 bantam eggs so the girls must have been in there laying for a day or two.We know the owl had two eggs would one have hatched and she moved it somewhere else? Or shall we just put it down to inexperienced first timer.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Oh how sad Carole,
I was so hoping to see some good pictures but there's me being selfish again. As an avid bird watcher I am always interested in what they get up to and the unusual places they select to nest. You and your family must be gutted. I'm so sorry.
JB.
Carole B.
KG Regular

Oh well,that's nature for you,Johnboy,I did once have a blackbird build a nest in my car engine,the car was used every day to take the kids to school but she raised the young successfully.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic