Temptingly early Spring Bits and Bobs.- 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm just about to order some perennials from a J. Parkers catalogue when I remembered we had-had a discussion about these dealers though I can only remember getting a recommendation about Kings seeds who I did use and yes, they were quick with no problems.

What about Parkers ? Any warnings ?

My negative experience so far has meant I avoided these traders because; one order I made up went out of stock so they apologised but only at the twelfth hour and had the cheek to offer alternatives rather than auto-reimburse my credit card. They had my money for three months.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Richard, their plants can be very hit and miss....i have used the company years ago, but not again!

Managed to get three hours work in, now it is raining heavily.....in the greenhouse for me. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks OH.

I just took delivery of my hedging plants from Ashridge Trees, second time I used them and both times were excellent. They don't charge your card until just before they deliver, they have a reasonable communication system but you have to be patient and wait for either a call back or an e-mail. They always respond. Most importantly the bare root plants I bought are in excellent condition.

I recommend them.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've bought plants from Parkers quite a few times and they've been good and reasonably priced. I think I once got something I hadn't ordered included with the others but no complaints on packing and quality.

I've just received some herbaceous perennials from Crocus and they were sent quickly, packed well and look good quality. They aren't cheap but have some excellent varieties and colours.
Monika
KG Regular

Woolmans is a good firm for reliable service and good plants though their selection is not as great as many others.
Geoff
KG Regular

Well if it really is Spring it has sprung a leak - seems to have stopped at the moment having reached 43.8mm for the day, that would be newsworthy further South.
Bit of a pain having to take the car 30 miles to the dealer for MOT and service today. Usually go over the Cross of Greet at about 1400' but it was white over that way this morning so we went round. It poured all day while we were killing time so when we set off back assumed it had washed it all away. No chance, it is a single track road and still had a clear line of snow down the middle.
My friend the farmer delivered my birthday present load of muck yesterday which is now under a sheet of plastic to protect from rain and dog. He had been to the knackers with three dead sheep earlier, if this doesn't relent he's going to have a very poor Spring.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks PP and Monika, I never heard of Woolmans but Ill take a look-see.
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

What a difference a couple of days make! Glorious day today. Finished the mower and took the top off the grass, I'll do it again on a lower setting later. The birds are singing, the bees are buzzing on the heathers, the views are great, all's well with the world. Weeding the fruit cage ready to spread the agricultural by-product from under the plastic sheet.

IMG_3813_R.jpg
IMG_3813_R.jpg (910.98 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
Last edited by Geoff on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retropants
KG Regular

what a beatiful garden & outlook Geoff!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I never realised Geoff was so tall..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

The council dropped five loads of mixed manure on the site of the new allotments I asked the driver could he drop one near the gates that will divide the two allotments he said he had been told to keep it away from the existing allotment after a bit of begging he said he would drop his last load near bye needless to say there is only four loads left,it has all come from a council run kiddies corner in a local park they had all types on animals there but it's been closed down due to the lack of funds the manure is well rotted even bits of timber mixed in with it is rotted
peter
KG Regular

Edging finished and now have two rows of Foremost and one of Marfona, all thirty foot. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Just mowed back & front lawn at home this evening - quite a task - just seems last weekend, grass was longish but today 'massive'! Anyway got loads of mulch! Even tidied edges out front, now where did I put the Brufen??
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Same here Geoff, visibility was so good we could see the sea around us. I managed to plant 20 of the 100 hedging plants and caught one mole.
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

Productive time in the garden today, getting the vegetable patch dug, some early carrots & beetroot sown, and getting the bean poles and tomato stakes erected in their border well ahead of time so I know how many seeds to sow. . Pleased to see the compost trench for the beans & tomatoes has rotted down a treat over the autumn & winter.

I found a number of tiny self seeded parsnip seedlings coming up in vegetable patch. I have transplanted them to a suitable location. Do you think they will survive and thrive? There are enough of them to save me from having to sow any this spring.

I'm having another attempt to grow some decent sized celeriac plants this year & have sown some seeds today. However I nurture them though I always end up with plants no bigger than the size of tennis balls.
Locked Previous topicNext topic