Late Winter Bits and Bobs - 2017.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Belated New Year,s Resolutions.

Do not buy seed potatoes on line.
Do not buy Potato sacks online. My late Mum had thicker lace curtains.
Do not buy Onion Sacks online. The weft & warp part with hardly any weight in them.
Don't the buyers ever check them out.
Do you know, I feel a lot better now.
Westi
KG Regular

Blooming freezing wind gusts down here today, so I did the respectable thing & hunkered down at home. The wind has died down now so will try lottie again tomorrow. Did rug up for a wee walk and accidentally found myself at Inexcess so felt obliged to buy a few gardening bits! ;) Come on you know you would have done it too - seeds 25p at pack - all 2017 / 2018 use by date!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Nasty cold strong wind but nice sunshine. Have managed a little gardening having finished the bathroom on Saturday. Laid out soil, leafmould and sand to dry in the greenhouse for mixing composts. Potted up some hardy annuals for cut flowers that I have been growing over Winter in the shed. Solar panels said it was the sunniest day since 23rd October, 19°in the tunnel.
peter
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:.....
Do not buy Potato sacks online. My late Mum had thicker lace curtains......

Unless they are the excellent paper ones available through various stockists. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

Viciously cold and strong wind today albeit with sunshine in the afternoon. Hope it will abate a bit tomorrow because our 'wild garden' (mainly grasses and herbaceous plants, a bit like low-class Piet Oudolf!) is in dire need of tidying up but if the wind continues, anything cut and raked up will simply blow away.

And, Shallot Man, I do sympathise with you. I have been so often disappointed with things ordered on line, and not just gardening stuff, that I have vowed to avoid it at all possible and go and SEE and FEEL anything I want to buy.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I was surprised that anyone on here uses potato sacks, presumably for growing potatoes, and I really don't mean to be rude or judgemental. Is it really a useful method ? In my case carting soil about might negate any benefit.

I have some coffee sacks I got free from a supplier though when I buy coffee I buy between six and ten kilos of green beans so the supplier is more likely to be helpful. The sacks are are very thick and I assume very strong though I have never used them yet.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Richard
Maybe people are thinking:-

Potato sacks (as in hessian type) for storing (which I think was what Shallot Man had in mind)
Potato bags as in strong man made material for growing

That's Just a maybe.

in the case of the latter perhaps not everyone has the ground space you do. In fact my father in law no longer has space so he just fills a couple of old compost bags and grows four or five potatoes on his patio, just so he can have the enjoyment, taste and satisfaction of a few fresh grown spuds. Probably only gets a few but the days of him having a huge back garden are long gone.

Ricard with an H wrote:I was surprised that anyone on here uses potato sacks, presumably for growing potatoes, and I really don't mean to be rude or judgemental. Is it really a useful method ? In my case carting soil about might negate any benefit.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I didn't mean to sound boastful about space it was just that it seems such hard work conveying soil or expensive buying compost for a few spuds. I tried this method with tyres, when we first moved into the barn and then bought the adjacent small field that became our paddock I found easily one hundred old tyres in the long grass. Farmers and old tyres Eh ?

I was amazed when a neighbouring farmer collected them and carted them away, they hold down the silage covers.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Warmer and drier today, so turned over a compost heap ready for going under the spuds and brassicas and chopped a few logs and filled the wee log store before it starts snowing or raining again.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Brilliant morning so went down to lottie, but the drizzle moved in about midday, so called it quits but got 1/2 the shed cleared & cleaned & all the onion & garlic beds weeded, dog protected & wood ash scattered. Looking good & some nice surprises.
Particularly pleased with that perfect little cauliflower, but the January King is looking pretty good too, even if not so perfect!
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG (5.19 MiB) Viewed 2768 times
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 2768 times
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG (3.21 MiB) Viewed 2768 times
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Dinner at yours then Westi, I've just cleared the last of the Curly Kale, so the garden is now bare.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Cracking looking cauli, nice colour for time of year.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Lovely Westi, I haven't been able to grow cauli, cabbages or sprouting broccoli and they take up to much space for my beds. Plenty of other stuff I can grow.

I didn't realize that parsley grows through winter, I have masses of parsley that is vibrant.
Richard.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Belated New Year,s Resolutions.

Do not buy seed potatoes on line.
Do not buy Potato sacks online. My late Mum had thicker lace curtains.
Do not buy Onion Sacks online. The weft & warp part with hardly any weight in them.
Don't the buyers ever check them out.
Do you know, I feel a lot better now.

Sorry, should have made myself clearer. Was referring to crop storage bags. [ I put it down to senile decay ] :wink:
robo
KG Regular

Down on the plot today when we heard very loud engine noise the next thing two Lockheed c_130a Hercules planes came over wing tips virtually touching around 300 feet high ,ten minutes later they came again ,we don't have any RAF bases near us not that we know off burtonwood used to be an American base but now closed or so we have been told ,very noisy is an understatement
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic