Grapes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Kind of for Pawty but please anyone post a response.

I'm now thinking of downsizing for when I have to give up Lottie 2 at the end of the year. I initially was thinking of just transplanting the 2 vines I have on Lottie 2, but read they have a massive root structure that goes quite deep. It was't a well known internet site, but if true probably not worth moving as will set them back too much. (Anyway can still get some grapes as they are along the dividing fence)!

Q1: Is it worth digging them up & moving them? (It will be their 2nd move).
Q2:Any recommendations for varieties that may produce eating grapes bigger than a pea? (Even as sweet & tasty as they are).
Q3: Should I just forget about eating grapes outdoors?

Time to chat to Mum-in-Law Pawty, if you don't mind. Many Thanks.
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Hello Westi,

Can't help with the digging up query - but I do know that my Strawberry grapevine grows really easily from cuttings - so I'm assuming that other varieties are the same. Our grapevine is at least 40 years old and I think they've improved on the variety now - (still called a strawberry gape). Grows outside, facing south, on the house wall.

You are welcome to have some cutting material - if you should need any.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Thank you Diane.

I may well take you up on that offer as you're just up the road, might travel quite well those few miles. I have actually thought I won't plant those varieties I have now again, so won't be taking cuttings from them as actual grapes are too small even though as sweet as sweet, & I won't transplant them either for the same reason. Let me do some research on Strawberry grapes, but sounds good.

Can you 'talk' me through the method to make them take - best time etc?

Haven't had a wee trip to Wimborne for ages & never met a forum member so a coffee & cake in the square would be a nice.
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi Westi,

Sounds like there are some good eating varieties out there and my mum in law says taking cuttings are pretty easy - double up to ensure success. I will try and find the summary she previously sent me.

The ones in my avatar are Madeleine Angevine -a dry white wine grape originating from the Loire. Early ripening, good for the UK. Produce small very sweet grapes, which you can eat, but are small. It's so tempting to snack whilst harvesting .....

Pawty
Diane
KG Regular

Hi Westi,

I just chop bits off and stick them in pots....any time of the year but the dormant period (now) is the best time apparently. My grapes are small, pink with pips.

This is a better way of explaining - (copied off the internet) -

Grapes can be propagated in several ways, but perhaps the most common method is through dormant cuttings. Wait until after the vines have gone dormant to collect propagation material. Select one-year-old growth slightly larger than a pencil. Collect long, straight shoots from which to make cuttings. It is best to take a 6 foot or so shoot and then start making cuttings at the base of the shoot. The cuttings have to be right side up or they will not root. An easy way to remember is to cut the base of the cutting flat and the top of the cutting at an angle. The cuttings should be 12 to 18 inches long and contain 4 buds. Three of the buds should be placed under ground and the remaining one left out of the soil. Dipping the end of each cutting in rooting hormone may speed up the process of root production. The cuttings should be placed in the soil as soon as you prune them. The cuttings will callus over the remaining winter and next spring some will start growing. Keep the soil around the cuttings moist but not overly wet for the rest of the winter. Since not all cuttings will likely grow, it is best to do about 10 percent more cuttings than the number of vines needed.

Hope this helps. Just let me know if you decide to go ahead and we'll have a meet up. :)
Westi
KG Regular

Many thanks Diane!

I'm sure we'll meet up, probably could have passed in the street as Mr Westi & I used to go to the square fairly frequently. Is that bakers still in the square? Whether I take up your offer or not, I feel it would be rude not to meet up! Let's see what Pawty's 'professional M-in-law's' recommends to grow. I would like to have normal shop sized grapes as like Pawty, not many make it home when they are snackable size!

I'll pm you Diane. Maybe Pawty might like to join us, she is only in Hants?
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You shouldn't have any problems getting cuttings to grow they root very readily from 9 to 12" or so prunings just stuck around the edge of a pot.

I think Madelaine Angevine should do well for you in the South. It grows outdoors here in Yorkshire but needs a longer warm season than we usually get to ripen properly. It's a nice little grape, but the wasps also like them when they're ripening. Another very nice one is Pink Chasselas. I've also grown the seedless one Flame but in five years it hasn't even produced a flower, so I seem to have bought a dud.
Diane
KG Regular

Brilliant Westi. Yes, we still have a baker in the square - but not the nice one that used to be there. However, we now have two more posh artisan bread shops started up last year and a lovely chocolate shop.
Westi
KG Regular

Wow! Diane - I'm well overdue a visit. Will pm you - the bread shops have woken Mr Westi, the chocolate shop has woken me! :)

PP - thank you! Who is best to buy those from in your opinion?
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

It's hard to choose but I'm a chocoholic too so I always gaze longingly into the window of...... http://www.chococake.co.uk :) But then again, it's hard to pass by this shop without popping in..... http://www.lepetitprince.co.uk/le-petit ... ducts.html Neither are cheap but the products are excellent.
Westi
KG Regular

Hmm - they look good Diane! Be in touch at the end of the month then - work may be a little less manic by then!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic