Sowing on Boxing Day

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Year after year I have read that many serious exhibition growers sow their onion seeds on Boxing Day.

I had intended to do so last year (2015) but it was February 2016 before I got round to it as I could not obtain any Kelsae onion seed as a result of which I tried both Mammoth and Bedford Champion, neither of which overly impressed me as much as Kelsae has in the past

As the shortage of Kelsae seed is still applicable, today I am going to sow 'Exhibition' and see what happens.

I also have some young Bedford Champion under cold frame which were sown in October by way of experiment

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

Well, I've just this minute found half a bag of sprouting baby onions...they'd fallen down into the bottom of my seed storage bag. The green sprouts are about half an inch long so I think I'll just pop them into the ground and see what happens. Don't know what make they are - but they were from Wilko's and I bought them last year.

Probably best to change out of my pyjamas first though (it was a long day yesterday) :lol:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Job done. 120 D T Brown 'Exhibition' onion seed sown in individual modules.

Packet was part of bargain purchase Mrs Snip made of D T Brown seeds for 2017 season, made at the Malvern autumn show.
£2.99 per packet, purchased for £1.
As were all the other peas, beans, etc. etc. ( almost complete seed requirements for 2017) she purchased

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Timely reminder Pa! Cheers!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic