My First Xmas Present

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pawty
KG Regular

Only two sleeps to go......

After reading threads on here I have asked Father Christmas for chick pea seeds and tomatillo seeds.... Fingers crossed....

I got my dad his veg and herb garden for the year ... With a few weird and wonderful thrown in.....

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pawty!

Just go to the Health Food shop & buy your dried chick peas if no one reminds Santa! Good Luck in trying to get any home though! I eat them off the plants raw - delicious! Although slightly the same in taste the texture is so different & reminds you why called a pea. I do manage to get a few home & pop them into my work lunch salads for that texture. Save yourself a big plot to get enough though, or pop them in between rows of other stuff as they don't grow big or take up too much root space.

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks Westi! I am a bit excited about growing these! I only have a small plot so will do as you say and plant between rows. Don't want to pre guess the packet (assuming Santa delivers) but do you plant straight in the ground (at the risk of mice?)?

The reaction to my wish list was brilliant this year... You want what? Really? Seriously .....

I haven't managed to get to the plot for a while due to work and daylight hours. Mr Awty went today and confirmed there are just about enough frilly sprouts for Christmas Day - the pigeons have had a feast! Can't wait for the break!!

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

I've always been surprised Pawty. They become a problem when the peas are ripening not when planting - too lazy to chew hard stuff! I hid mine against other permanent stuff, this year they were on each side of the grapes - new venture for the in laws maybe? :)

This year I'm underplanting them in anything a bit tall & covered with environmesh - brassica's meet chickpeas! But read into that also under the raspberries & other soft fruit. They just do their own thing, no special treatment or extra watering!

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

I cheated and bought myself some presents!
I have bought myself A new Blackberry Butte because the three Reubens blackberries were a total failure and a traffic light of Hannomaki gooseberry plants. One red, one amber and the other green. I bought just the one of each because if they are any good I can take cuttings if I need more. I have heard that they are very good and I think that Geoff has them on his plot, if my memory serves me right.
Any report would be appreciated.
JB.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hello Johnboy, yes the Hinonmaki has a very good flavour when left to ripen. I can't understand why people pick gooseberries at the sour green bullet stage.

And mentioning frilly sprouts my one surviving plant has pea sized sprouts in the leaf axils so I might have a long wait. Have you noticed whether slugs like them, or do they leave them alone? I usually find that they go for green plants in preference to purplish ones.

Re growing chicken peas, Westi, When do you plant them and how fast do they grow. I'll probably have to plant later than you or put some in the greenhouse to see how they do.

I've got two nice surprise presents a diary and a country file calendar from people I don't see very often. Isn't it nice to get things through the post that aren't adverts and catalogues. I think I'm going to start writing people letters again it's much nicer than a text.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi PP. I probably put the first lot in about June/late May, then each month I plant some more somewhere. They don't seem to mind it cooler but they don't germinate well when it is too damp. Put in loads as you don't get too many peas, usually 2 per pod with about 5 or 6 pods per branch, sound a small amount but they only grow about 6 inches tall. Might be good in a raised bed. I bought last years from H & B health food store, and whatever variety they were I got lots more pods per branch & even in some more peas per pod - there were 4 in quite a few of them. They cost me the princely sum of 1p in their offer as I actually went in for their soup mix.

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I am always very grateful for all Christmas gifts.... however... note to self...... do not mention what's on your wish list to more than one person. I now have 5 packs of tomatillo seeds .... anyone got a good chutney recipe?

Although santa didn't find any chick pea seeds ....

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

H & B have their buy 1 get 1 for a penny again at the moment. I saw it today and was tempted, but I have half a large bag full in a tin in the shed & they will repeat this offer again before Spring if the rats or mice find their way in.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic