Here we go Bits and Bobs - 2016.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Nice photos that illustrate allotments, I love the concept of allotments even though I prefer the convenvenience of my garden space at home. It's like the difference between having a beer at home and having a beer in a pub with a chat.

I have a lot of respect for you people, the difficulties are real and I won't list those I imagine.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Your allotment looks great Pasnip, best time of the year. I did the same as you and decided to gamble on there not being another frost, then came in and heard the weather forecast for the next few days. Oh dear!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Your allotment looks great Pasnip, best time of the year. I did the same as you and decided to gamble on there not being another frost, then came in and heard the weather forecast for the next few days. Oh dear!

Thanks PP

A gamble indeed, just cant rely on the forecasts it seems.
I looked at the weeks forecast for this area and whilst it suggested lows overnight, nothing below 6 was forecast at that point, lowest overnight in next seven days is said to be 8 tonight.

Fingers crossed

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

Lovely, lovely rain the last few days, interspersed with warm sunshine - growing weather or what? Got my leeks (Musselburgh and Elefant), celeriac (Monarch) and second lot of broad beans (Masterpiece Green Longpod) planted on Friday and they have all been nicely watered in now.

The tomatoes are in their final site in the greenhouse which is a giant growbag with those strange tall rimmed pots which you 'screw' into the growbag to increase the available soil and make watering easier. If anybody is interested, they are really useful. Ours have been used for about four years now and they are as good as new. Sweet peppers and chilli peppers are in their final pots.

Second lot of peas (Hurst Greenshaft) going in tomorrow after pre-germinating them in damp potting compost. I find that mice and bank voles are much less interested in them once they sprout.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Glad I put fleece round beans and sweetcorn last night. It went down to 3°c.
Primrose
KG Regular

My climbing beans have been planted out for over a week now and despite low nighttime temperatures, seemed to have survived.
Westi
KG Regular

My climbing beans were not happy, I've given them the benefit of the doubt & left them in but sowed seed on the other side of the poles as a back up! My celeriac is doing fine, but my leeks aren't quite big enough! My spring cabbages (just hearting up) & last of the PSB are in their spot anyway!

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Lovely looking lotty pa snip. Bit jealous at how good your onions look!!

I have some quite young French beans which I plan to put out tonight. They should be OK as they've been outside for a week. Think they just need a bit of sun to get them going.

Pawty
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thanks Pawty

Have to admit I am not enamoured with the onions.
Odd happenings with some of them this year, the likes of which I have not seen before.

These were sets planted out last October, If you look closely you will see that many of the reds (Electric) have developed two stems, something like twins.

The white onions (Troy) have grown as they should, a single stem. However none of the overwintered sets have grown good onion bulbs and are now trying to run to seed.
The seeding bit is rather typical of autumn planted sets.

Would be interested in any views on why the reds have developed as they have >>>>

DSC_5259---web.jpg
DSC_5259---web.jpg (196.55 KiB) Viewed 2570 times

On the other hand, well pleased with the shallots this year.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

My first red onion has gone to seed already Despite watering regularly I expect that others may follow shortly now so am very disappointed.. Neither reds nor whites show any sign of bulking up at all yet. They don't seem to like my stoney soil - I wonder if this is one of the reasons they go to seed so easily although I do plant them closer together than recommended because of space restrictions. May not bother growing them again.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose

When did you plant them

robo
KG Regular

I planted mine in October they are exactly the same I pulled one seed head off yesterday and looks like there are more on the way
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Seems to be quite a common problem with autumn planted sets.
Many of the plot holders on our site will only use spring sets.

I've had some good onions in the past but last two years have been poorer to my mnd

Primrose
KG Regular

Pa, I planted my onion sets beginning of March so perhaps it's a little early to expect them to be bulking up although after nearly three months I would expect them to be more ahead than this. Plenty of growth on the stems though.
Geoff
KG Regular

My over Winter Onions are Senshyu Yellow from seed. I sow them week 32, plant them out where Potatoes have been and protect them with cloches all Winter but uncover them quite early. There are always some losses but they do quite well, I might photograph them later.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic