Removing all taste from apples... and tomatoes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Fruit and vegetables picked when ripe can't be beaten, produce from shops in season are usually ok but it is nice to get blueberries, grapes, grapefruit and mangoes etc all year round. Lidl had some very intense flavoured baby plum tomatoes from the Netherlands last week which was a nice surprise and the Co op usually have some good flavoured cherry tomatoes from Italy. Supermarkets do seem to be trying to improve the flavour of tomatoes, but the larger salad ones are still usually tasteless and watery all year round.

I shop at several different supermarkets including Sainsburys, Morrisons, Lidl and the Co op and think that their turnover of stock also has a bearing on the quality of the fruit and veg. There is little to choose when the produce is freshly in. I also like the fact that the Co op sells produce from the local area in a lot of cases.
Marigold
KG Regular

I have a very vivid memory from around 50 years ago, of a visit in Guernsey to a greenhouse for flowers when the owner reached up with a pair of scissors and cut us a bunch of grapes, warm from the sun. ... they tasted like nothing before or since. Must stop reading this thread as I start wanting things I cannot eat! Ah well!
Geoff
KG Regular

There are some amazing tasty things in the fruit sections. What can compete with Pineapples, cheaper than four Apples and provide at least four good helpings. Don't know how we get them for the silly prices (probably don't want to know really), they used to be exotic.
Marigold
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:There are some amazing tasty things in the fruit sections. What can compete with Pineapples, cheaper than four Apples and provide at least four good helpings. Don't know how we get them for the silly prices (probably don't want to know really), they used to be exotic.

Just before Christmas here they have a price war and melons and pineapples go for 50 cents...I made a huge amount of pineapple jam which I made into jam and will combine with orange marmalade to sell.... Aldi do their Super6 too; saw a woman today empty the broccoli box into her trolley!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic