Peas - Mice, Guttering and Paraffin

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Chez
KG Regular

Okay, we have just lost (once again!) loads of peas from five rows, to mice. So anyone who has successfully overcome this problem with either paraffin, guttering, or any other method, please feel free to post your approach here. For instance, which paraffin - liquid or kerosene? Guttering - need to drill drainage holes in the base? These are just two questions I have, but if there is anything else you think is pertinent, please feel free to be forthcoming. Thanks in advance.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Chez,
Do not drill drainage holes because you will then get roots going through them and you will never get them out.
I no longer use guttering prefering 7cm sq pots but when I did I made Pea guards from Aviary wire.
I also made a rack on wheels to house the guttering
and when they got in the way they were wheeled outside for the duration.
As I say I find it now easier to use pots but thats because I found the guttering awkward for me to handle but used guttering very sucessfully for many moons.
Even if you have used pea guards it is best to leave some loaded mouse traps about. I find a very small piece of bread will a spot of honey on it best as Mice don't be able to resist it.
Best of luck in your endeavour.
JB.
fuchsia
KG Regular

we have been fortunate to not lose any to mice ,we have always covered our raised bed with enviro mesh untill they are tall enough to put the supports between and lift of the covering .But there is always a first time and will probably talk them up having just sown mine this past week lol . :roll:
Fuchsia
richard p
KG Regular

i sow thickly in guttering, plant out when about 3 or 4 inches tall. i saturate with water then pull off a lump of compost with two or three plants and plant with a trowel then leave a gap of three or four inches before the next clump. they need planting before the roots are too tangled up together. most people seem to plant the whole gutter out in one lump. from about 30 ft of guttering i have just planted about 120 ft of pea row.
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks all. Can't believe I didn't think about the impracticalities of drainage holes in guttering :oops:. A senior moment. I hope.

Geoff if you are out there, I seem to recall you soak peas in paraffin(?). If so, which type and for how long? Do you let them dry before putting them in ground? I would welcome contributions from anyone who uses this method too.

We have very determined and very hungry mice here - they even eat the insulation from inside the bonnets of our cars. Some have had a go at the rubber seals around the car windows too.
David
KG Regular

Hi Chez,

Seems your question should have been more about your mouse problem than the pea problem.....maybe a post on David Attenboroughs forum would serve you better!

Anyway, I used guttering for the first time this year for peas and mangetout, blocked off the ends with some parcel tape, spaced them 2" apart staggered
down each side. They were up in a few days just left out on the table on the patio.

Watered them very well so they were almost floating, scraped out a drill, angled the guttering down at one end and by sticking a finger in the soil halfway along and pushing, the whole pipe full just slid out of the end. As I know Johnboy has said in the past the approach is more to pull the gutter out of the way than push the contents out of the pipe.

All are growing like mad now.

If I can do it so can you - trust me on that.

David :D
Chez
KG Regular

Thanks David - you are soooo right re David Attenborough being more appropriate! :lol: We did start to wonder if it was something else for a while, but finding a couple of dead mice under the bonnet was confirmation enough. Great outline of your technique too.

We are off to buy guttering (and more mouse traps) this week and looking forward to getting this under control once and for all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic