Sowed My Broad Beans Today

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

I was going to grow Stereo this year but the mice had them all, so what I grew were bog standard cheapest ones I could find - probably from the 99p shop! Thought if I was only going to feed the mice might as well not invest too much.

Glad you posted that prompt PP as just got the catalogue from the allotment on the weekend ready to order. I read somewhere when they are really small you can eat the lot without podding them - anyone tried them this way?

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've thought about trying them whole, but can't bring myself to try it. I think it is the thought of the furry insides that puts me off. Anyway, I've saved plenty of seeds from them to grow next year so may give it a go.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Westi. Re 99p shop. Last year they were doing five different tomato seeds [20 of each] for the obligatory 99p.
Westi
KG Regular

PP: Funnily neither can I! :) But I did clear my bed on the weekend & when they are really small they don't have the furry lining, but I think it is a fine line to decide when this point is. I was a bit tempted & thought slicing in a stir fry but then had enough big boys to peel off the plants really forgot about it - maybe next year!

Shallot Man: If your timings right, the good old 99p & In Excess can be little gold mines & we should have a £ shop by next spring. Somehow when you don't spend much & you have lower expectations & are even more excited when you get a great crop!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic