End of Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm taking the day off today and going to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford. Something i've promised myself for many years. I have been and done a couple of hours work, so don't feel too guilty.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

OH. Went there some years ago. Well worth a visit.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I had a wonderful day, Shallot Man, plenty to see and all the staff were very helpful and informative.

Monika
KG Regular

Today's newspapers seem to be full of 'wettest August for years', 'rained off bank holiday' etc etc. Well, just to play devil's advocate, we have just enjoyed a very pleasant month and certainly a good bank holiday this last weekend. Our month's total rainfall (118mm) was less than in 2011, 2012 and 2014 and came mainly on two very wet days which had 40mm and 23mm respectively (on 14.8. and 23.8.). The rest was mainly light rain and mostly overnight. The rain was desperately needed and very welcome. Even today when harvesting a leek, I could just shake the soil off the roots.

It just confirms to me that 'national' news stories mainly refer to London and the south....
Pa Snip
KG Regular

The great north south divide even raises it head in the weather :D :lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

I realised yesterday while watching a thunderstorm lashing down that I had never taken the Winter sticky tape off the joint of the French windows, wet or dry that sums up the Summer I think.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Too right Monika, it's been a dry summer up here too until the last week. Not particularly sunny but little rain. I was surprised when I heard the news saying it was the wettest August ever - should have qualified that with in the south.
peter
KG Regular

Out of action for a bit now. :cry:

Found out a few months ago that I had a 1x3cm kidney stone, had it lasered yesterday and as they couldnt make the bits small enough to come out unassisted I have a stent between kidney and bladder. Bit of stinging on passing rosé but horrible pain at kidney area as bladder empties.

No gym, no lifting any thing of any consequence exampl given shopping bag, can't drive for a bit.

To cap it off, of course I now have a second hospital visit t remove the stent and any remainimg debris in about a month :( :( :( :(

On the positive side the list of things that coud go wrong was dire and I'm back home after just eleven hours in hospital, mostly spent drinking and trying to pee enough to satisgy the nurse that all was flushing through. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Peter, sorry to read of your problems, i do hope you are soon fighting fit again. I have this feeling you are going to get frustrated, not being able to get on with what you want....

alan refail
KG Regular

Sorry to hear of your problems Peter.
I hope you will soon be back on top form and sorting out any wayward plotholders :evil:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

Looks like a good title for this thread.

This Evening and Tonight:
Remaining dry across the region with clear spells, with parts of Cumbria and Lancashire having clear skies. Becoming chilly during the night with a ground frost forming later in some rural areas. Light breezes away from the coast. Minimum Temperature 3°C.
alan refail
KG Regular

Minimum temperature here in sub-tropical Wales - 10C.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

Sorry to hear about your kidney stone Peter. Seems a bit of bad luck is infiltrating the forum. I've just got my husband home after a quadruple bypass, but have nursed folk with kidney stones & it is very painful!

I'm missing my carrier of the heavy stuff very much & no car driver! Let's hope you & him are back to fighting fit for when the pumpkins are ready! :D

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Wishing Peter and everyone

who is partly or completely incapacitated from working their plot or veggie garden at present a swift recovery to good health.

I understand them there stones that Peter has can be damn painful.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, Alan, Peter and you too Pa Snip,may more tranquil times be ahead of you, whatever boulders may be strewn across your pathways..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic