What 'Shows' are you visiting

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

From those with National (International even) Fame to Local, what shows are you visiting, or have you visited, this year.

Once visited would you recommend them to others in future years.

This weekend (July 4th) we will probably visit The Smallholders Show at South of England showground Ardingly, we don't have a smallholding (well Mrs Snip says not one we can talk about on here :lol: ) but have been before and quite enjoyed it. Advice readily available on chickens, pigs, goats, rabbits etc etc. It is on Saturday and Sunday

On Sunday July 5th I have organised a visit to Hampton Court Flower Show along with friends we have acquired through having the allotment.
I am a bit biased about this show as it is one I worked on a trade stand at for many years from the year it first opened.

Will let you know what we think of them after our visits.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Pa Snip, i have to admit i always seem to be to busy to go to garden shows but, i do love reading when other people have been and what their thoughts are.

When i first joined, i'm sure some of the regulars used to meet at a show somewhere....it might have been the Malvern show!!!!! I hope they didn't stop, at the thought of me going.... :)

I have been looking at the Summer vegetable weekend at Barnsdale on the 15th and 16th of August, although i know i have a lot on around this time, so will have to see nearer the time.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Morning OH, I know what you mean about meaning to visit somewhere and then finding you're too busy.

I had seen the info about Barnsdale weekend and am also considering it. subject to how I am feeling at the time.

If it was Malvern it is a wonderful place to have used to meet up, excellent shows both spring and autumn.
Some really grotesque entries in the largest/heaviest veg competition :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Well so far it seems nobody is planning to go to any shows.
Any show organisers may care to take note when planning their event lol

Decided to give Smallholders show at Ardingly a miss today. Decided that it might be a tad too much for me as we are visiting Hampton Court Flower Show tomorrow.
:lol: you might have read already on another thread how many hours I did up the plot today instead :lol:

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Pa Snip, now some topics that i think will have loads of replies, only get a few.....just goes to show what i know... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
snooky
KG Regular

If my Wife and I were still living in Cardiff we would have gone to the Royal Welsh Show in Builth Wells and probably the Blackwood Show but having to travel there from Hampshire,stay overnight in a hotel and not sure of the disabled facilities it is not on my list of places to go,which is a shame as the Royal Welsh is the best show of it's kind in the country.The Blackwood show is excellent too.
I shall go to a few local shows on my own and suss out the disabled facilities with the view of both my wife and I going together next year.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I probably will go to the Mid-Somerset Show in August as I have been going for years but did miss last year's show. I always enjoy it and they quite often have the Wurzels playing which brings some culture to the event.

Barney
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pa Snip puts hands up and admits to having been a total plank.

We went to Hampton Court Flower Show yesterday and I took quite a lot, loads in other words, of pictures.

Being totally cream crackered after a day of walking around the show I did not exercise my usual care when going through the process of uploading the pictures from camera to PC.

Opened the camera card to show all the pictures and without thinking pressed delete on the camera card folder before I had transferred the pictures into a folder I had created on the PC.

Irretrievable .................... Lost the lot !!

Only consolation is that this particular show is as its name suggests, floral. All being well we'll be off to Malvern for the Autumn show for our 'veggie fix'

Wouldn't mind having a look at Harrogate show as well

Geoff
KG Regular

You should be able to recover your files - lots of products out there. I used one a few years ago on a previous PC, I might be able to find the name if you need it. Most have a free trial version but I can't remember the limits of "free" or if I paid for mine - might be worth looking at a few though you might think it is worth paying straight away.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff, you are spot on right about there being lots of software being available. Been looking since reading your post.

All the ones I have seen making "Free" claims are free to the point of finding the files, in order to actually retrieve them costs more than it did for me to get into the show :lol:

As they were all primarily just of flowers and a little bit of veg I'm not going to bother. A lot of pictures would have been similar to the ones taken at Blenheim Palace flower show a few weeks ago anyway

I'll make up for it at the next show we go to, it'll be a good excuse to fit another show in :D

Pa Snip
KG Regular

At least I managed to buy a potato fork at the show.

I got the Bulldog tools one, made in Wigan. Costly but worth the investment as it will last many many years. Much stronger than the Draper one that's offered online.

Always wanted one, can pass it on to my daughter when she takes over the plot. I'll put a special addendum to me will :D

So far, of the shows mentioned I am now quite tempted by Royal Welsh. Ma Snip is on work leave when its on, could be an excuse for another couple of days away, subject to my not having adverse reaction to next treatment.

Mid Somerset show is also a contender for a visit.

Never done lots of shows in the past but they are a good way of Ma and I spending some quality time together.

Geoff
KG Regular

I see there is one on this list that recovers up to 1Gb before you have to pay and others look like they are completely free.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecov ... ams.01.htm
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff, I'll look that out later. Cheers

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Not a show nor a festival, sort-of a rural craft fair come small-holding open day with music and all sorts.

We went to to Kate Humbles farm big-day-out and it was fabulous. I learnt how to skin a squirrel and nearly learnt how to make doughnuts on an open fire until Herbert allowed the pan of oil to explode.

What a fantastic day out and we camped overnight, look out for it next year.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Catherine
KG Regular

We don't really go to "shows" but we do go to NGS open gardens and love most of them. (We once went to one in Wales at the end of a very long valley and then found a really awful garden which took five minutes to walk around including a cement mixer and cement bags) We went to four open gardens in Summerbridge and Dacre Banks in Yorkshire yesterday and they were fabulous. Particularly the last one which was divine. The planting was superb.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic