2015 Springing Bits and Summer Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Following on from 2014 Slug Invasion thread I used a packet of Nemaslug on the plot yesterday.

As per instructions ground was damp before applying, day was overcast and not sunny.
Initial reaction, purely in respect of application, is that its a phaff with a watering can. You need a very coarse rose head for the watering can.

Other issue is definitely one of cost to complete a full application programme every 6 weeks over the season if need be since a large pkt costs over £20 to cover 100 sq yrds.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very wet under foot here this morning, so going to give working at the big house a miss, apart from just popping along to tray up some dahlia tubers and change the battery over on the electric deer fence.....there might even be a cup of coffe if i time it just so.

I have been sowing and potting up in my own greenhouse this morning and very enjoyable it was too....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Probably a greenhouse or shed day here also OH. :?
Rained overnight and still trying to continue.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Quick the sun's come out!!! :D Oh..... it's gone again :(

MW
Geoff
KG Regular

Miserable drizzle set me seed sowing in the greenhouse. Went for some ½ seed trays from the shed and frightened a Robin off its 5 eggs in the top tray. Took some from underneath, hope it comes back.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Robins never seem to be too worried about human intervention Geoff, so i'm sure they will be back.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Yes, I am sure the robin will come back, Geoff. Some years ago, a robin nested in our greenhouse, having come in through the narrow top flap. I carried on using the greenhouse all the time with the robin sitting on its nest with four eggs. When they had hatched, all the children in the neighbourhood used to regularly ask to see the youngsters growing. Three eventually left the nest through the top flap with only one left trapped in the otherwise closed greenhouse, but this one flew off quite happily when released. good luck with yours!

After a murky day, we are enjoying a lovely sunny evening and NO WIND!!
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I did some bits and bobs in the greenhouse yesterday and also had a visitor in my box of pots... don't know who was more surprised me or the mouse! We both jumped...

MW
Monika
KG Regular

Lovely day here today, warm enough for sitting out in the sunshine. And the first chiffchaff has arrived! A female blackcap now comes regularly to the fat blocks, too, but presumably this is a continental bird which has overwintered here rather than a spring arrival.
Still about 20 bramblings feeding every day.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

The fields around us have been slurried and what surprised me is how interesting the guls find this horrible smelly stuff so now our white painted barn and vehicles are being peppered with involuntary-evacuations.

The guls make racket from dusk to dawn at the moment and whilst I know you have this problem inland it seems more a more natural sound here on the coast.

Lots of visitors this weekend and the start of many silly during stories about drivers who can't reverse, can't wait for the lambs to find the hole in the fence from which they escaped, can't wait for two farm workers to finish their conversation whilst blocking the lane with tractors, can't drive their cars any closer than two foot from the greenery, can't understand why someone is driving in the opposite direction and endless other amusing stories though visitors don't drop litter like locals do. Amazing isn't it, farm workers are the worst.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
peter
KG Regular

Still a bit sticky here, dug up two spalling concrete posts for neighbour, who's got 27 fence panels coming Tuesday. Cathartic, but hard work at an hour and a half per post using, ditching spade, ladys border spade, trowel, 2lb lump hammer with brick chisel, five foot pencil point mining pneumatic drill with sledge hammer amd a certain amount of focused violence. :shock: :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic