Clubroot.

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Don't know if anyone is interested but if you suffer with clubroot on your Brussels, here is a tip I picked up in the Daily Sketch donkies years ago.

Purchase some Mothballs and grind to a fairly fine powder.
Do the same with some eggshells and mix the two together, sprinkle around the Brussel plants as soon as you have planted them out.Don't dig it in just leave on surface.Evidently the smell is a put off for the Clubroot fly.
This works a treat and I guarantee they will be the best you have ever grown.
Anonymous

Oh heck, and there was me thinking that club root was a fungal disease.

April 1st has gone by hasn't it.

valmarg
vivie veg
KG Regular

I thought it was a fungal disease as well Val, maybe Guest is getting cabbage rootflys and clubroot mixed up!
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
sandersj89
KG Moderator

The egg shells may help a touch as the fungus does not like the lime conditions but never heard of moth balls before. Also the lime needs to be at the roots for best effect!

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Club Root is a Fungal condition and not caused by an insect of any kind.
Jerry,
The old type mothballs were made from Naptha and it was also available horticuturally to be used as a deterent for Eel Worms. It was also thought to protect Carrots from root Fly as it is the smell of Carrot that is the attractant to the fly and Naptha would mask that smell.
Naptha has long disappeared from the scene and today Mothballs are no longer made from it. I take it that it was one of those things that was used back in Victorian times and was found not to be safe to use.
I certainly would think twice to use modern Mothballs on productive land or any other land come to think of it.
JB.
Anonymous

Another tip from 'way back when' to do with sowing brassica seed. The telly programme stated that clubroot is endemic in peat based composts, so if you want to avoid it, sow your seed in a soil based compost.

I can't remember how many years ago this was on telly, it may have been as long ago as when Geoff Hamilton was presenting Gardeners' World, or even before.

We have been using soil based composts for sowing the few brassicas we grow, and have been free from clubroot.

valmarg
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic