What have you sown so far?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Catherine
KG Regular

Please can I ask what everyone has sown so far this year.

I have got so many seeds that can be sown now but because I have been so busy I haven't had time to do anything, hopefully after this week, I will be sowing in earnest. (we have our 15 year old grand daughter staying for a week whilst her mum is away on a hen party holiday, since when did hen parties last a week long.) I had forgotten how hard it was to have a 15 year old in the house :shock: My OH and I have been out for a very long walk today, I am ready to go and get in bed and read my Kindle and GD is not due home till between 9 and 10pm Hmmm I am hoping I can keep awake that long. :oops:

Just looked at the weather forecast for tomorrow and I am going to try and sow some seeds tomorrow.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Catherine, i have only sown a few things in the greenhouse so far, nothing out of doors yet. So it's, peas, second lot of broad beans, cauli's and some beetroot. Going to have a big sowing in the greenhouse in the week.

I bet your grand-daughter has enjoyed her stay.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Catherine, I have sown aubergine (just peeking thorugh) peppers, chilis in the heated propagator, but only 10 days ago. also, theres mizuna (up and raring) spinach ( a few of them were poking their little heads through yesterday) cabbage, lettuce and sprouts (all just beginning to show through) Tomato seeds are on their way from america (Tomfest.com) lots of varieties to choose from! and everything else lined up in the old biscuit tin in sowing order.
Diane
KG Regular

I have kale, spinach, broccoli and a tray of mixed butterfly flowers in modules in the greenhouse. In the propagator I have tomatoes and some chufa (tiger nuts). Never grown tiger nuts before so it's a bit of an experiment. In the garden I have sown a patch of carrots in mistake for poppies....so that should be interesting :lol: They should look lovely in amongst the penstemens and roses (not!).
Last edited by Diane on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Aubergines, Chillies, some Toms, & Leeks. Just filled up some pots for brassicas but waiting for the compost to warm a bit so will probably sow them tomorrow.

I may or may not sow a few things on lottie tomorrow when I go down but will depend on how warm the soil is under the black plastic.

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Indoors I have sown chillies and leeks which have germinated, and today have sown basil, sweet peas and a small quantity of celeriac. I have also just sown my tumbling tomatoes indoors as I find they don't seem to get so leggy in the same way that the cordons do, and I can,plant them out early outdoors under a 5 litre water bottle cloche until it,s warm enough to leave them uncovered.
I shall also very soon be looking out for those useful £1 punnets of Living Salad leaves you can buy from Waitrose and other supermarkets and be planting them out under cloches. I bought two last autumn, planted them under cloches and they have grown and kept us in salad leaves all winter and are still going strong. You can get up to 60 plants per punnet and they save growing time so fill a very useful time/growing gap in early spring and get me ahead of the game.
Catherine
KG Regular

No early bed for me GD did not turn up till 11pm. :evil: Super mad by then. Am not her favourite person today. So no OH I don't think she had a good weekend.

Did not sow anything today instead I went off for a very long walk on Silverdale and had a fab time. I can see that I will have to up my game and get on with sowing and stop pussyfooting around. I have never been as late as this sowing my seeds.
Bren
KG Regular

I have chilli's,peppers, lettuce little gem, tomatoes money maker and san marzano, Pom pom dahlias and french merigold on the window sill, they have germanatrd , I started them off nearly 2 week ago on the floor under the radiator in the small/computer room.

On Monday I sowed beef tomato, beetroot, cabbage,cauliflower, leeks,lolla rossa lettuce and broad beans they are on the floor under the radiator now.
Bren
Primrose
KG Regular

Diane, you may have inadvertently discovered the perfect recipe for avoiding carrot fly !!
Diane
KG Regular

Oh - wouldn't that be great - this time next year I'll be a millionaire :lol:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

So far sown:

sweet peas, night scented stock, shallots (seeds not sets), beetroot - all well up in the unheated greenhouse

peas, broad beans - on the windowsill in an unheated room, but will go into greenhouse any day now

celeriac, chilli peppers, sweet peppers, night phlox - just germinating in the warm kitchen

And I just realised by looking at last year's records that I have sown everything almost on the same day as last year - I must have a built-in sowing clock!
Catherine
KG Regular

I really have to get going still not done anything. Monika you have been very busy. I have never pre sown beetroot, do you find they grow well after transplanting. I have not had any luck with beetroot for several years but only my OH likes them. :oops:
retropants
KG Regular

my tomato seeds from america (tomatofest.com if you want to have a look) have arrived, they will be joining the aubergines and chilis in the heated propagator this afternoon. I may also start some leeks in pots, never done that before!
Monika
KG Regular

Yes, Catherine, I always sow a few beetroot seeds in modules and plant them out as bunches under a cloche or fleece, just to have a few early small ones. The bulk are sown into the ground later. if you have not been successful with beetroot, have you ever tried soaking the seeds in tepid water for about an hour before sowing them? I always do and I think that helps to soften the corky outside.
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Monika I will try that method. I still have not managed this week to do any sowing but the weather has been much better so I have big plans for this week end. I simply must sow the sweet peas and broad beans and aubergines without fail.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic