Brambles shambles

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mazmezroz
KG Regular

Just cleared a new plot last year, and am starting to plant up. Did use the dreaded glyphosphate which certainly did the business, and now want to use as little chemical as possible, but the brambles are bursting through with great joy and triumph. I thought I had dug all the old dead roots out but 1) I obviously didn't and 2) they were obviously not dead.

The problem is I have now planted and things are starting to grow, so general spray around is out of the question.

Any ideas of what might shift 'em?
peter
KG Regular

Only works if you have lengths that are not in/over crops.

Get the best and longest rubber gloves you can find.
Mix up some v-strong glyphosphate in a plastic painters tin (or similar).
Take a paint brush and/or bit of old rag.
Find your bramble.
Carefully paint it or stroke it with the rag after dipping.

Even if you have to let them grow and train them away frop crops, you only need a foot or two of leaves for this to work.

I think JB posted something similare this week about a cane frame to train bindweed for this method.

Hope it helps.

Other than that, dig the bugger up. :roll:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Allan
KG Regular

Never exceed the stated dose on any glyphosate or you will kill off the tops before it can act to kill the roots. Alternatively use specific brushwood killer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic