Beans and wind

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Diane
KG Regular

Apparently this herb - Epazote - added to bean heavy dishes cancels any embarrassing after shocks :oops:

Anyone willing to test this theory?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
alan refail
KG Regular

A sprinkle of asafoetida works with Jerusalem artichokes.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

I can vouch for the Asafoetida & it is easy to find & has a mild onion flavour so doesn't affect taste! It is used in Indian cookery for that very reason so not just Jerusalem Artichokes.

Westi
Westi
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I find aligning the poles end on helps... what? What do you mean wrong sort of wind :D :D :lol:

MW
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I've tried epazote and it does seem to work, and adds a distinctive and pleasant flavour.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Gerry
KG Regular

Felix, is that to the beans or the "aftershock"?
Diane
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Flatulence is one of life's great pleasures, unfortunately its regarded as rude, though when men get together it becomes amusing. As a result of this 'blokey' amusement some find that farting in public is ok, particularly after a couple of beers.

Whatever it is in beans, cabbage and a host of other things that bring on windy-discumfort I have always regarded the fault as with our stomach-flora rather than blaming whatever you ate.

Many years ago before it became fashionable, I became a vegetarian. My stomach became accustomed to the diet though when we had guests to eat with us they would often go home uncomfortable even after excusing themselves every fifteen minutes during the evening to take-in a breath of fresh air.

Im have never heard a lady fart, just blokes.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Oh Dear Richard - you have lived a sheltered life - Never, Ever?? :lol:
Mind your ladies are properly more sophisticated than this Aussie bumpkin! :wink:

Westi
Westi
Gerry
KG Regular

My wife can do it in her sleep........I think.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Maybe I did hear a lady fart, I always got blamed. Is farting in your sleep poor manners ?

Sauerkraut does it for me, I could poop for England on sauerkraut and I love that taste.

:(
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Lauralou
KG Regular

Well this is a lovely introduction to the forum for me :)
But my mum always says that eating fennel with beans helps with wind. Also, soaking them beforehand.
Primrose
KG Regular

Incidentally on the topic of beans, has anybody found the secret of cooking dried butter beans to make them nice and floury like the tinned ones?
I soaked some dried ones overnight last week (admittedly they were best before 2007 !! ) but even after boiling for over an hour, they still tasted raw. I want to find a method of cooking them that makes the texture floury so they soak up liquids in soups or casseroles.
Westi
KG Regular

I always buy tins. I think reading all the stuff about soaking & boiling for a specific time etc or you'd poison yourself seemed too much effort when they are so cheap to buy. I have a nice variety of them always in the larder as they are so versatile & low GI.

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Primrose, I think the age of your beans might have been the problem. They do harden as they age and any length of cooking time will not soften them!
A tiny bit of bicarbonate of soda in the soaking water is said to assist the softening of dried peas and beans, by the way.
But I agree with Westi. Unless you eat a lot (and therefore they get used up quite quickly), tinned beans are not expensive, very versatile and so are those in plastic (?) bags. I think Epicure is the firm's name.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic