Asphyxiation by White Fly

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I had to raise the netting on the sprouts & PSB & the little blighters were everywhere! When I shook the plants the ground turned white underneath them! We've had a couple of frosts but it was still the worst invasion I have ever had but remain grateful they only cause cosmetic damage!

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I'm amazed now resilient whitefly seem to be even in very cold weather. I haven,t really found any successful solution for getting rid of them, even outdoors. I was told soapy water did the tmrick but it doesn,t seem to have worked for me on my chilli plants.
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,

I was told the same (soapy water) but to only use green washing up liquid and to add a table spoon of paraffin to a 5ltr pump spray.
I have used this on my Brussels sprouts to good effect, prime your sprayer and set it to a fine spray, get your self a cane and tap your plants so that the white fly raise up away from the plants once they are are airborne spray them with the fine mist, it was said to me that the soapy liquid puts them on the ground and the paraffin breaks down the waxy coating on their wings.
It will not kill them all off but it does reduce there numbers which helps.

Kind Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
peter
KG Regular

But surely the detergent will react with the paraffin? Cuts through grease? :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic