Tomatoes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elaine
KG Regular

I have six tomato plants which were planted in the greenhouse rather late, some of which are only just ripening, so I reckon I'm going to have rather a lot of green tomatoes this year.

Am I right in thinking I should be decreasing the amount of watering now to (hopefully?) encourage the fruits to ripen?
Happy with my lot
Elaine
KG Regular

Ah well, I reckon I'll trust my instincts. :lol:
Happy with my lot
Monika
KG Regular

Elaine, I cut down the watering when the majority of tomatoes starts to ripen and that seems to work. Just don't then suddenly give them a huge amound because that might cause the tomatoes to split!
Elaine
KG Regular

Update.
I am amazed that all but half a dozen of the tomatoes on these six plants, have all ripened. :D Result!
Happy with my lot
Westi
KG Regular

I've had an excellent tomato year. Went down to lottie today & still had ripe tomatoes - unfortunately also had blight damage but it was their turn to go anyway, but still think for 3rd Nov outdoors that is pretty remarkable!

Westi
Westi
Elaine
KG Regular

Wow, that is excellent Westi! Who would have thought it possible?

I was sure my greenhouse toms wouldn't ripen as there were so many of them. We hadn't been to the allotment for well over a week as we had my son's wedding 26th October, then this last week my chest has been bad again. I was amazed to see all these lovely ripe tomatoes...5 pounds of them! The weather certainly hasn't been "ripening" weather...

Gardening never fails to amaze me. :lol:
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic