Is it my imagination or has the new style forum...

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Jenny Green
KG Regular

brought out the pedantic in everyone?
peterf
KG Regular

hi jenny,whats that big word mean,as going for a tin of alphabet spaghetti :lol:
nog
KG Regular

You mean like Gary Glitter.
Chris
KG Regular

Jenny

I think that this general chatter section is becoming a better version of the old forum. Not sure I understand your posting - what exactly are you saying? Hope this reply is not too pedantic. What are your plans for 2006?

Chris
Chris
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I mean it seems everyone extra, extra picky about things. Maybe because once you've finally found the thread you're following you feel as though you should string it out a bit, to justify the effort of getting there in the first place. Eg the 'economy of space' thread (I know Allan and Johnboy do this all the time anyway, it's true), or the 'cats pooing in your neighbour's garden' thread. Is it me or are people just going on and on? More than usually, I mean?
My plans for 2006 include finally posting about my sow thistle eradication experiment - with (small) photos.

Nog - are you Noggin the Nog, or Nogbad the Bad?
nog
KG Regular

It depends if you are married or not :shock:.

I am NOG the guardian of the lands Plot 151 a Plot 98. Eater of the Strawberrys
Deb P
KG Regular

I'm with Jennys view on this, I think its brought out the troll in some people. I was so fed up about the mangled cat poo thread I was tempted not to visit back, but then I have had such good friendly advice in the past I thought again. I quite like the Johnboy vs. Allan spats though!
Allan
KG Regular

I can't be sure what you mean by pedantic, I use my bike to get around locally. One thing I like about this forum is that I feel it gives people more chance to spread themselves each in their own way without obstructing others. Remember there is no compulsion to read any of it. On the negative side I have yet to see a significant entry from newcomers, the format is definitely not intuitive to grasp.
It has taken me a long time to find the steps necessary to read the old form messages, I shall now devote the necessary hours to save my own copies of anything significant there.
Confused

If you have found a way of searching the old forum, could you please let me know how to do it Allan.
Thank you
Jim

Not sure really what is meant by "pedantic" in the context of a gardening forum - surely we would want to be as accurate as possible in expressing our questions and answers, otherwise what's the point of asking or answering? :?
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Jim wrote:Not sure really what is meant by "pedantic" in the context of a gardening forum - surely we would want to be as accurate as possible in expressing our questions and answers, otherwise what's the point of asking or answering? :?

Yes, of course, but it 's also possible to repeat oneself and argue back and forth to the nth degree, which, until you've read the posts, you don't know that's what's happening.
So, you can say, well, don't read them then, but you don't realise that's what's going on until you have read them.
Mmmm. Bit like what I'm doing right now really!!!
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Deb P wrote:. I was so fed up about the mangled cat poo thread I was tempted not to visit back,

PMSL!!!
Allan
KG Regular

Go to brown header bar
click FORUM
You will get a lot of text
Scan down to heading Forum Archive
In the text there are the underlined words "archived version~, click and you should be there. I think you will cope with it from there on.
In my opinion,it's a bit naughty of Jason not to make it more obvious. I suggest you make the most of this opportunity to copy anything precious to you while it's still available.
Allan
(willing to oblige)
Confused

I know how to get to the archived Forum Allan. My question was how you search for the specific threads you are interested in. For example, if there was a thread about carrots in March this year, the only way I can find it now is to scroll through several thousand posts manually until I reach March 2005 posts and then hope that the header makes the content obvious. That takes for ever. I assumed you had found a way of searching for specific posts but I obviously misunderstood you.
Thank you anyway.

Mr Potato Head, it says "We're working on adding a simple search facility, which should be with you sometime soon". Has anything been done about this yet? Many of us are already thinking about next year's growing season and we really do need to be able to get to our valuable source of information.

Thank you.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Confused,
I was the person who initiated the threads on Carrots last year and if I can be of any assistance please send me a private message and explain what you want and quite a lot of things of mine are produced on Microsoft Word and are saved so I can either mail you direct or publish the article I wrote again for you.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic