Lupins

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

phill
KG Regular

Hi people
I know this is not a "vegetable" subject but am guessing the right people may see this and be able to help.
I have been given some Lupin seeds, still in their pods, some green and some brown and dried out. What is the best way to store these etc and when and how is the best way to plant them??
All answers very much appreciated as this is new territory for me. Many thanks in advance.
Phil.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I would discard any seeds that are green because they may not be fully developed — it may be that the pods have been picked a little before their time. Also reject any brown ones which are shrivelled: they should be plump and with a shine. Put them into a envelope or packet, no special storage requirements needed unless you plan on storing them for several years. They should be sown late next spring, either into pots (sow two or three per pot, remove the weaker seedlings) or direct into a nursery bed. Whichever method you use, they can be grown on in a bed and then transplanted into the border where they are to flower in the autumn or the following spring. If their needs are well met, in a rich soil with frequent watering, they should flower in their second year.
Allotment, but little achieved.
phill
KG Regular

Thank you very much. I will sort them and plant accordingly. Many thanks.
Monika
KG Regular

Phil, if you have lots of viable ones (explained by FL, above), I would also sow some of them now in a pot. They will probably germinate fairly quickly and, if you can give the pot some shelter over winter, not from the cold but from the wet, you could pot on and plant out the seedlings next spring and may get some flowers already next year rather than the year after. It's a bit risky but may be ok.
phill
KG Regular

Thanks Monika, will give it a try in the greenhouse.
Weed
KG Regular

I have a several short rows of Lupins approximately eight plants per row in various parts of the plot...they have been there for four or five years now and produce many colourful blooms, plus I get some self seeded plants each year for elsewhere.
I love them as they are one of the first flowers to come out to attract the bees.
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
phill
KG Regular

much appreciated "Weed", many thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic