Harvest bits and bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monka, congratulations on doing so well at the show. I do hope your energy levels have returned to normal, as that was an awfully long day, even for a youngster like yourself. :)

I was very interested to read that you had Broad beans as an entry, as i never seem to do very well with them so late in the year. Any tips on how to get them so late?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you for your kind words, gentlemen. Yes, fully recovered and been busy all day again today, lifting Sarpo Mira potatoes - a strange yield: some huge ones, some very small ones and not many "normal" ones in between. It must have been the dry weather we had in July and early August.

Apropos late broad beans, OH: yes, I was surprised, too, that we had any to show. They were a sort of second crop on the plants which we had already harvested. In fact, I nearly cut them down about 4 weeks ago when I noticed some more tiddlers coming on. and they grew into lovely straight specimens. So it was more luck than skill and design!

I planted our overwintering onions Radar today, too. Last winter I lost quite a number because of the weather (they were snow covered for a long time), but the ones started in individual pots and then planted in early spring all did very well. So today, I planted them all into roottrainers (to be kept in the cold greenhouse over winter) and will plant them outside in spring.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, regarding your Broad Beans, all i can say is, i admire your honesty. :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Where are you all ? :)

Westi
KG Regular

Here I am! :D :D

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank goodness for that Westi, for a minute i thought you had abandoned me.... :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I always find it amazing how young seedlings grow at this time of the year, especially after some much needed rain. But not only weed seedlings, also any newly sown crops, too. A few weeks ago i sowed some oriental salad leaves, rocket, cut and come again lettuce and some radish, and they are very nearly ready for harvesting. I also did a late sowing of peas, these are just starting to pod up now, but we will have to see if the dreaded mildew will get these before they are cropping properly.

I must admit, i'm quite pleased to see nice fresh rows of plants growing at this time of the year.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Went yo a Golden Anniversary last night until well past midnight, and now went and over slept, i didn't hear a thing until 4.40am, i never will catch up with my jobs now! :)

Stephen
KG Regular

OH, you may be getting up at much the same time that I have returned home for the last few nights!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I remember those days well Stephen, getting a lift home with the milkman... :)

Clive.
KG Regular

A couple of photos of the Apple display that we set up at work for last Sundays Apple Day. 1000 visitors attended...

50 varieties +2 Crab Apples displayed, all trees growing in the Gardens...a couple appeared by photo...Beauty of Bath and new plantings such as Edward VII and Lanes Prince Albert.
Monarch, also a new tree, that hasn't fruited, was represented courtesy of some fruit from the top of a tree belonging to a neighbour here.
...and actually, Charles Ross came from home too as the 3 Apples that the new tree at work produced were donated to an interested enquirer last weekend.!

The display was moved yesterday from the Apple Day marquee to the old Stables..so is available to view again over a couple more regular open days.

Clive.
Attachments
Photo-0387.jpg
Photo-0387.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Photo-0386.jpg
Photo-0386.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Photo-0385.jpg
Photo-0385.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Primrose
KG Regular

What a lovely display of apples,! I was wondering incidentally if Pink Lady apples are ever grown here in the Uk. They seem to be very regularly available in supermarkets now and I'd love to know If there is an English apple which has a identical level of sweetness, juiciness and acidity.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Clive, what a wonderful display you have put on, i can only imagine at the time it must have taken, so a big pat on your back is in order. :)

Clive.
KG Regular

Thank you Old H'...yes, it has kept me quiet for a some weeks...making sure as many plates as could be were filled with Apples.

Don't reckon I have sampled a Pink Lady...

...but in my travels today around the Gardens I have munched on an Egremont Russet, a Fiesta, a Spartan...and lastly a Greensleaves....and a Marjories Seedling Plum....all for the purposes of research of course....

..and a slice and a half of lovely Apple Cake courtesy of a little home baking by one of our colleagues... :)

Clive.
Stephen
KG Regular

That's a wonderful display. Well done.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic