Mystery flower

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

I need help to identify a flower which has suddenly appeared in a bed of mixed perennials, bulbs and annuals. sorry, I can't provide a photo but here is a description:

The flower is bright pink, shaped like a large daffodil (with inner cup and outer perianth, though the latter is in ONE part rather than divided as in a daffodil). The flower stem is about 15 inches tall with leaves, similar to a campanula, along the stem.

Any ideas?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Monica,
Eustoma or perhaps a Campanula.
Regards Sally Wright.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Try looking up canterbury bell.
Geoff
KG Regular

I'd agree - cup and saucer Canterbury Bells eg http://www.interseeds.co.uk/canterbury- ... 0049-p.asp
Monika
KG Regular

Many thanks, Sally, MW and Geoff - yes, it IS a Canterbury Bell 'Cup and Saucer'. The strange thing is that all the other flowers which have now opened on the same plant are just cups and no saucers! But they still look beautiful.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, these plants seem to have been out of fashion for many years now, what is a real shame, because if grown well will make a plant of three foot high and nearly as wide. And if kept dead headed will flower over a very long period.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

I just had to come back on this subject, because the very flower which you all so clearly identified as a Canterbury Bell Cup and Saucer, is still in perfect condition in a vase on a sunny SW facing windowsill and not showing any deterioration! Like OH said, I too am surprised it isn't grown more widely, so pretty and so long lasting.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic