Electric Steamers

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Motherwoman
KG Regular

Had a senior moment yesterday, having decided not to fire up the wood range during this heat wave I was going to cook the meat for dinner in the combi oven (which is fine) and then went to get out the 2 ring electric hob only to remember that we threw it out at the end of last summer as it had clapped out! Faced with not being able to cook the newly picked first peas I went into town and bought the cheapest electric steamer I could find, Logik at Curry's for £14.99. No doubt I'll get used to it and the peas tasted good.

So, any die-hard steamer users out there with tips for what works best? If I get used to it I'll think about getting a better one so any recomendations gratefully received!

Motherwoman
Westi
KG Regular

Sorry - I just steam on the hob with my Chinese bamboo basket thingie. I only use it because it fits one the pans perfectly but have gas. Bet your wood range is wonderful in winter - jealous!

Westi
Westi
Motherwoman
KG Regular

The wood range is great, does cooking, hot water and rads. We got fed up of being held to ransom by oil prices, especially on the island with only one supplier :(

But it gets a bit hot indoors if we use it this weather! So have to get inventive on cooking arrangements...

MW
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear MW, just looked on google map where you live, and there seems to be a lack of trees around your area, just a lot of stumps.... :wink: :)

Sorry, it must be the hot weather.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Why would you use an electric steamer, MW? My double and single steamer (just saucepans with perforated top containers) have served me well for at least 30 years and all our vegetables are cooked in there and the vegetables for freezing are blanched in there too.

Are there any advantages to an electric steamer? or is it because they have their own heat source (rather than lighting the wood burning stove)?
Catherine
KG Regular

My induction hob broke down this weekend. So we got out the gas barbie. It worked really well. We have a Cadoc Safari. (Never used it before) Yesterday I stood on our patio cooking poached eggs for breakfast :lol: The day before I cooked courgettes and lamb steak on the machine. You do not realise how much you miss four rings when you only have one. I use a stainless steel steamer over a pan which I have used for years. I find that the first earlies are better steamed rather than cooked in water. I prefer caulis and broc steamed rather than cooked in the pan.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

If I don't light the wood range I have no cooking plate/ring to heat a saucepan on hence the need for an electric steamer. I find I'm prefering the flavour of steamed veg, just got in the habit of boiling I suppose.

Hadn't thought of using the BBQ but it would have to be half way down the garden as we have a thatch...

Tomorrow I shall try trout fillets (caught by no.4 son, very proud!) steamed with veg on the top layers. It feels like I'm not really cooking with the steamer, I could get used to it :)

OH, believe me no tree in our garden is safe any more, they've only got to start looking a bit past their sell by date and we're eyeing them up for logs.

MW
The Mouse
KG Regular

I used my cheap-as-chips electric steamer (the cheapest one Argos had about 5 years ago) yesterday. I took it outside, plugged it into a lead running from the shed, and cooked my new potatoes out there. It was already too hot in the house, so it was the perfect solution!!!
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Motherwoman
KG Regular

It does new spuds really well, and the fish came out alright too. Just got to get my timings right when I do 'mixed loads'. I looked for a book on steamer cookery in Waterstones today (other bookshops are available...) but they didn't have any so it could be a trip to a well known online store this evening!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic