Gourds are they edible?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Cherry-blossom Girl
KG Regular

Stupid question (my speciality :roll: ) but can you eat gourds (Jim Jams variety)my seed packet doesn't say 'ornamental' and states harvest fruit in September but I have a nagging doubt that you can actually eat them! Go on put me out of my misery :?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear C-B girl,
they may not be poisonous but they will not be at all tasty. They are what is known as inedible.
If you want pretty squash to look at before you eat them I would recommend some of the following, harlequin, festival, sweet dumpling, turks turban, jack-be-little. The organic gardening catalogue has lots but most of the catalogues have some kinds. You don't have to sow all of the packets if you get several but just two or three seeds from each one. The seeds will keep for three to four years if you keep them in a cool dry place.
Hope this helps,
Regards Sally Wright.

Hi Sally

Thank you :D I'll have a squizz at their catalogue.
LakeView
KG Regular

Hi,
If you bought your packet of Jim Jams at Thompson & Morgan, you might find that, from the picture on the packet, what you have are all actually edible squashes and pumpkins. My T&M packet of Jim Jams made me laugh... every fruit on the packet was either a variety of squash or pumpkin. As an American, we grow gourds for autumn (fall) decorations (as well as squashes for Thanksgiving and pumpkins for Halloween and autumn decorations), and I've never seen any 'gourds' the kinds on the T&M seed packet -- hence I believe all are edible squashes and pumpkins. I put it down to inexperienced British gardeners!!! :o Then again, they may be gourds and the picture isn't what's in the package!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic