Mower spark plugs

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Flanjamin
KG Regular

My cheapo but long suffering B&Q petrol mower has finally stopped, after 1 year of mowing 2 acres of rough pasture, a year of suburban mowing but being stored outside and six months of mowing lawns and undergrowth. I think the spark plug needs replacing. The question is whether the tool to remove the plug is universal or do they come in different sizes? Would a socket set have the right size?
Motherwoman
KG Regular

My spark plug appears to be a standard size one and if that's all that needs replacing after what you've put it through you're very lucky!
richard p
KG Regular

spark plugs come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes...the first critical thing being how far they go in the hole. you really need to get the old plug out to be able to read the numbers on it to match up a replacement , a mower service place is a better bet than a diy shed.

the standard sockets in a socket set normally arnt deep enough to fit over the body of the spark plug.
the mower should have been supplied with a plug spanner when it was bought from the retailer.
a cheap set of box spanners (short bits of pipe with hex ends) often works.
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Hmmm, now you mention it I'm sure it came with something, but as I've moved house 5 times since I bought it I'd be amazed if I can find it. I'll try the local mower place if I can't find it.
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Aha I found it! Have got the plug out and it looks pretty sooty - is it worth cleaning it up, and if so what's the best thing to use?
richard p
KG Regular

wire brush and nail file..but its probably not worth the effort, new plugs arnt expensive
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Got a new one and is now working fine! Well it still cuts out every now and then but now it starts again first pull.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic