Cost of seed packets

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Was in a garden centre earlier today (only customer in there !) and perusing the vegetable seed packets out of interest. Was shocked to see how much costs have increased since last year. Perhaps it's partly a result of the last year's bad weather? Because I often use many of my seed packets over more than one year it's easy to lose track of inflation but vegetable growing is no longer the cheap hobby it used to be.
Even the bagged manures and composts are all much more expensive now. Garden centre was offering a special deal of 5 bags of composted manure for £15 - just wish I had access to a source of the free stuff !
Westi
KG Regular

Being a cynic I think it is more likely tapping into a growing market trend - bigger the market = more profits & if you can increase your mark up (right through the supply chain) = £££££. Of course I also appreciate their costs have gone up as well.

People new to the growing game of cause, will only think of their local garden centre for what they need. I have found the less well known seed suppliers seem to be keeping their prices pretty stable & little mark up or slightly fewer seeds in the packet, which I don't mind - always found it weird the number of carrot seeds etc per pack, but not regretting it as haven't bought any of them for years! :)

Westi
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Go to your local pound shop. Six different tom seed for the provable pound.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Yes - they have gone up, but to be honest with the cost of everything these days I wonder how the seed trade can make a living out of it. Compared to most things they are very, very cheap.
retropants
KG Regular

you could also try Wilko's (WIlkinsons's) they are much cheaper and they are offering 3for2 at the moment.
Catherine
KG Regular

I found Simply Seeds.co.uk I have planted sweet peas today, there were "40" seeds in the packet and they were very cheap. I bought a lot of seeds from them, they are in plastic packets with instruction and have a resealable top, also inside the packet the seeds are in a paper packet. I will let you know how the germination is but the website and delivery was brilliant. I think it was free delivery over £10.00 The sweet peas were only .99p for 40 seeds.

In the garden center they cost £2.99 to more.
Westi
KG Regular

Wow Catherine! I bought mine off another seed supplier & got about 15 seeds! Off to google your suggestion....& just found a Wilkinson's not too far away..whoops too much month left in the pay again! (I've tried to convince hubby it's better than buying shoes - which incidently he has got more of than me, but he's not convinced as doesn't like veg!) :D

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westi and Catherine,
I think that there is a very large range of sweet Peas and certain varieties perform a whole lot better than others and this reflects in the price.
I would suggest that price comparisons and quantities should be coupled to variety.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic