Trooble at t'mill

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

Not sure whether 'seasonal tips' is the correct slot, 'seasonal woes' might be better for this one:
we are now realising that more than half of our leeks (Musselburgh and Bluegreen Autumn) have bolted, a far larger proportion than ever before. The weather, presumably?

Also, all our Picasso potatoes are riddled with slug cavities, even though they may only have a tiny hole in them. The others (Kestrel and Sarpo Mira) are so-so but even they are not keeping as well as they should do. Weather again?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, it really has been been one of those years, we really have been, and still are, up against it. I think it will be just before Christmas when vegetable prices start getting out of control.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
solway cropper
KG Regular

We had the last of our home grown spuds tonight :(

Leeks are looking OK but not the bulk there should be. On the plus side we've had a fantastic year for parsnips so I guess it's going to be parsnip soup in the hungry gap.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Just had a look to see what my leeks are doing and they are still quite small, but OK apart from the very smallest that are covered in the tiny keel slugs, so out with the pellets.

I'm hoping the leeks manage to grow a bit more before winter, but looking at the forecast I might be disappointed.

The frost has killed all the courgettes and blackened the climbing French beans so a good tidy up is on the cards and I'll have to remember to save some bean seeds for next year.
ken
KG Regular

Mostly I'm happy with what is left outside, including leeks and kale. Just had one disappointment though. We cut the last two Chinese cabbage, which have been under environmesh. I'd noticed small holes on the outer leaves and took them to be the work of flea beetles. However, the holes were getting bigger. When I cut the plants, I found the problem was small green caterpillars, and the damage was more extensive than I had thought. Still, the hearts were good. All my fault - should have looked more closely!
The Mouse
KG Regular

My Musselburgh leeks are still very small this year, too, although none have bolted - yet. It's the first time ever that they have let me down, and I put it down to the fact that I am growing in different soil from usual (having moved most of my veg growing from allotment to back garden this summer). However, my son has exactly the same problem this year, and with the same variety.

Could it be the weather? How are other people's Musselburghs faring this year?
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've been wondering if the rain has washed out a lot of nutrients from the soil, so all the crops we're having problems with are a bit starved compared to a normal year. This along with being cold and wet round the roots when they were first planted may have been a bit too much for some plants.
peter
KG Regular

Unlikely, more probable causes are temperature and sunlight, the lack of both at required times. :(
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

No problem with the size of our Musselburgh leeks, all thick and tall but, alas, many of them now with seed stalks.

All kales and cabbages are fine but the Brussels sprouts are teeny.
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm in the small Leeks group. I only grow them as a Winter veg so don't plant them out until I have cleared First Early Potatoes. Looking through the diaries I don't seem to reliably record when I do it, this year was 30th July compared with 21st last year so perhaps I was a little late. Anyway they still have a lot of growing to do; might not matter, probably no Potatoes to go with them for soup. Lunchtimes are going to be expensive this Winter, no Apples, little Tomato soup and now these.
Attachments
IMG_2681_R.jpg
IMG_2681_R.jpg (216.39 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
Elaine
KG Regular

My Musselburgh leeks are small too compared with other years, though a bit bigger than those in Geoff's photo. So far they haven't bolted.
I agree with Peter....dire weather combinations.

We won't have any sprouts for the festive season either, they've done nothing and the buttons are just that...buttons! I will have to buy some...for the first time in eight years. :(
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Monika
KG Regular

Yes, that reminds me, Elaine: our sprouts are just little marbles so far! All the kales are doing well at least.
Westi
KG Regular

This year I have the best sprouts ever - most years the dreaded whitefly & cabbage white gets them. Already enjoyed the first sprout top & can understand why it is rated so highly. My celariac & curly kale is not going to provide us with enough food, but the Cavelo de Nero I planted early because it got too big for the pots is doing fine & have had several additions to soups & stews.

Weird weather - what is next year going to bring?

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, i think it will be perfect growing conditions all year, next year, and we will all have bumper crops. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

OH you are always so optimistic & rightly so, some things fail & other things thrive. (Shame I'm not that keen on the sprouts themselves) :)

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic