Cheese making - uses for the whey in the garden

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've just made some cream cheese - my first attempt and it was very easy and tastes lovely. Lakeland are selling a small book on cheese making, moulds, rennet and muslin squares, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I wondered what I could use the whey for that is left over, and read that it can be diluted and sprayed on plants to prevent powdery mildew (probably the same as spraying with milk). Among the other uses it can be poured onto the soil or into the compost as a fertilizer, and is also good round plants such as blueberries and tomatoes that like an acid soil. There are lots of other uses such as feeding livestock and using it in baking, stocks and soups, and in smoothies as it is very nutritious.
Last edited by PLUMPUDDING on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monika
KG Regular

Plumpudding, my mother always made her own cream cheese and we used to drink the whey just as it was. I am not sure whether I would enjoy it as much now as I did as a child!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I don't think I would want to drink it neat Monika but it would probably taste alright in a smoothie - and very nourishing too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic